1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Cleaning up audio tracks... newbie question

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by noiseordinance, May 22, 2013.

1. noiseordinance

noiseordinance New Member

Hi there. I just moved from Audition 3 to Logic 9 (I know, talk about stepping out of the distant past and into the present!). So far I'm loving it, but I'm having a tough time performing a few simple things.

1. Let's say I record a guitar track. I used to be able to select the regions before and after my part and mute it to get rid of the hiss and clean up my track. Is there an easy way to do this without setting up automation and silencing parts of the track?

2. I saw a youtube video of someone using the flex tool and shortening a track. Like, say I record a 2 minute part with a 15 second lead in and lead out... is there a way to grab either side of the track and slide it to the left or right to get rid of the unnecessary portions? Not sure I explained that well...

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Audio->Strip Silence

Sounds like you should take a look at the Strip Silence function. In the Arrange Page, with your newly recorded guitar part selected, select Strip Silence from the Audio menu and you'll be presented with a window showing your part broken up into boxes. By adjusting the parameters at the bottom, you should be able to cut the audio into just the useful chunks. When you click on OK, the guitar track will now only play audio when there's a guitar part, and all the buzzy hum in between sections will be gone. The beauty of this is that your track is still intact, it's just had the playback switched off when you're not playing.

Also, in regard to your second question, try moving your cursor up and down the left and right ends of the recorded region; at one point in the lower third, you'll see it change to a square-bracket thing you can click and drag to shorten the front or back off the region as needed.
  4. noiseordinance

noiseordinance New Member

Hey thanks much! That's an awesome tool, very useful! Awesome!
  5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Sonny's suggestion of using Strip Silence is perfect. Sometimes i find though that doing things manually is simpler than using these automated processes. What I would suggest is to use the marquee tool, drag/select the area you don't want and hit the delete key. The selected area will automatically be deleted. Do this once for the beginning and once for the end and you're done.

If there are lots of bits in between the phrases you want to mute (i.e.: remove) then strip silence could be a time saver. But for a simple "tops and tails" trimming, I would just select and delete with the marquee tool. Don't forget to use the control and/or shift key to get finer grid increments.

In a way, this is sort of the same question. Forget about the flex tool for this. That is used for manipulating the timing of a track. Like Sonny says, use the trim tool at the front and end of the region to trim it so just the section you want is playing. Or use the same marquee select and delete routine described above.