Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Clicking track header doesn't cause regions to light up

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by peterlemer, Sep 19, 2015.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Cycle mode is off, I'm going to repair permissions etc, but could there be other reasons?

3. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

Preferences ➤ General ➤ Editing ➤ "Select regions on track selection"
  4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Thanks Edgar - this was a bit more strange - most tracks did indeed respond - but this one didn;t.
    I had further problems - where a 5/4 bar showing in the transport and in most regions, did not appear in one region.
    Also the mouse tools wouldn;t appear, and the main page was largely unresponsive.

I eventually re-installed Logic, and it's working a bit better, but the 5/4 is still missing in one region.
    I solved that by creating a new track and copy/pasting to a new empty MIDI region. This does show the 5/4 and I can get on.
    Mouse tools are OK now

5. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Did you look at the event list->signature tab and see if you 5/4 is the only signature ?
  6. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Yes, there are many sigs.
    Just to re-iterate: at it's most stripped-down, I have MIDI 2 regions with similar material, each on its own track.
    One region shows the 5/4, the other doesn't! ( It's catches up with a strange short bar around bar 36)
    Here's a screenshot of the 2 similar regions superposed, so you can see the difference in time sigs :)
    ( both regions co-exist in the same project)
    Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 12.05.54.png
    This takes me back to the days when Lengeling et al were in command :)

7. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Can you please upload your project so I can take a look at it?
  8. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

9. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Well thank you for that. I am not sure I would have exactly done some of the things in the same manner in particular with clefs etc you have done - we can discuss later. But for now the correction ( without explaining why - as frankly I have to figure out why myself) - is to expand the beginning of the first region on the first track to start at measure 1 instead of measure 4. (Don't move it, just extend the beginning to start on measure one leaving the rest of the region in place)
    Please try and let me know if it corrects your issue with regards to the time signature problem.
    Below is screen shot after I executed the above
    Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 11.16.35 AM.png
  10. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Thanks for following this through, volovicg.

1. These charts are piano parts ( despite the region names), hence the clef grouping. Does that help with your consideration re clefs?
    2. I never start regions in bar 1 - leaving space for count-ins or pickup phrases.

( this project has many more tracks, instruments, vocals, I have stripped all that out for the purpose of this enquiry)

As you suggest, stretching the front of the MIDI to bar 1 causes the missing 5/4 to appear :) But I don't want to print 4 bars tacet at the front.

Besides, the parallel region does show the 5/4 bar correctly and it also starts on bar 4!

I must apologise for my earlier example, the regions were incorrectly aligned. Here is a more accurate version: Sky

11. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Who's to say they aren't? :deviltail:
  12. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

ha! there's a thought :) I've supposed that Apple are in commend, although having said that, the latest update looks clever on paper - haven't got round to exploring it, down this tunnel atm :-(

13. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Well my friend - not a problem. After you drag the region start to the beginning you can then cut the region at measure 4 and all will be fine. You can even add pick up notes if needed, just cut the region before the pick up notes are played. The original issue is relating to changing the start point of a region by expanding or collapsing it - as long as you don't change the left side of the region after it has been created all will be fine ( again moving the whole region or cutting anywhere is fine).

In the attached I create what you want, leaving first 4 bars empty - just cutting the region at bar 4 instead of contracting the region from the left.

There is a solution to every problem.... just need a moment to think it through...
    signature alignment.gif