1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining two MIDI devices

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by marzzz, Sep 15, 2013.

1. marzzz

marzzz New Member

Let's say I have two identical 8-voice rackmount synths, and I wish to have Logic treat them as one 16-voice device, i.e. once the polyphony of the first unit is exceeded, it will "spillover" into the second unit. Is this possible in Logic? I can't seem to find a reference in the manual.

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Right, such things are not described in the manual... I may say you can do that using two ways:
    1.You can make a small complex Environment voice demixer.
    2. It can be done by scripting using the new Scripter Midi FX plugin routed to External Instrument software plugin. Here I guess you have to use "Thru" cable routing i.e you connect the second synth via the "Thru" bush of the 1st synth or use some hardware midi router cause the External Midi software plugin offers one Port instance. Another alternative is to use IAC but you come to the Environment method again.

4. marzzz

marzzz New Member

Thanks for the reply! The funny thing is, I somehow remember this functionality being built-in to Logic many years ago. I'll give your suggestions a try.