Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Complete newbie needs some pointers!

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Amy Balcomb, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Amy Balcomb

Amy Balcomb New Member

Hey guys

Sorry - I hope I don't become a pain in everyone's backsides but I'm trying to get to grips with Logic Pro X.

Here's where I've got to:
    1) Bought a new 27" iMac with Logic preloaded
    2) Installed NI Komplete 11 Ultimate bundle from hard drive to external hard drive
    3) Plugged in the NI Komplete Kontroller S44 and whilst I can see the input I'm not hearing anything; I realise it's a midi instrument and the sounds will only be heard within the DAW but even that's not happening
    4) I am about to save down the samples that came with Logic to the external hard drive

So - what should I do next?! I've used various DAWs before but not very much. I've always had an engineer get things sorted for me. I'd like to be able to hear myself playing the controller keyboard. I'd like to know how I pull Kontakt through into Logic. What else should I get to grips with once these elements have been sorted? I have the Apple recommended training manual; should I work through this?
  3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Once you figure it out, you'll wonder what the problem was, but Logic and other DAWs are complicated and deep, and need some time to master the basics. There are some good guides out there to get started on. Here's one I find very usable. Logic is not my main DAW, but when I need it, I can find what I need in it quickly.
    That and a little patience should do it. Getting Kontakt working is a matter of setting up the signal flow. The book will help with that too.
  4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

If you mean the Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro X 10.1: Professional Production, then a resounding Yes!
    This book will systematically walk you through how to use Logic, giving you a solid foundation of understanding of how it all works together.

There are so many resources out there, but as someone new to Logic, working through this book is the first step.
  5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Do you you have an Applestore nearby? If so they usually (often/always?) do one on one training for people who bought a computer. I can't remember how much, I think you pay about £75 and then get as many sessions within that year as you want, which is fantastic value if you get a few sessions. I did that with FCPX, really worth doing to get started.