Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuring external drive for backup.

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by OldMacTech, May 30, 2013.

1. OldMacTech

OldMacTech Member

My setup is the following:

Mini with 750gb HD (Logic installed)
    External 1 TB USB drive ( song files here)
    Time Machine 1 Tb

The TM drive is great at backing up the mini drive but does not recognize the External drive and is not backing up the all important songs I worked so hard to make.

Would like to have them back up on the TM disk periodically- how do I accomplish this?

Thanks.

Jb

3. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

Not sure what a TM drive is?

Open the disk utility, and check the format of the drive.

My hunch is it's formatted for Windows, if it is erase and reformat for Mac OS.

:cool:

4. OldMacTech

OldMacTech Member

TM = Time Machine.

All the drives are formatted properly, just haven't figured out how to trigger Backup of external drive automatically.

Jb

5. charlie

charlie Senior member

If I'm not mistaken, click the circular TM icon on top of your Mac window (near the battery/clock displays) and select "options"... A drop down OS panel opens that shows which drives are to be backed-up.
    Click the "+" to enter the "add drive" dialog.
    Once clicked, it should show up in the list on the left side of the panel.
    I think that's all there is to it... :thmbup:

6. OldMacTech

OldMacTech Member

Thanks- I'm suspecting I need a new HD caddy for my 1tb external. It's an older one may be USB 1.0 so it doesn't support 1tb I don't think. Still checking.

Thnx.

7. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I'm finding that although â„¢ does back up the external drives when configured, when attempting to restore content from them I ofetn get a mesaage telling me I don't have eprmissions.

8. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I would just get another drive and do it manually every day. Simple, no issues.