1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Connecting my Korg SP-280 to 2015 Macbook Pro/ Logic

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Simon James, May 29, 2016.

1. Simon James

Simon James New Member

I've just bought a Korg SP-280 and got a Midi to USB cable wanting to use the Korg as a controller in Logic Pro X. I've been trying to find some information about what the settings should be so logic sees the controller. I also have a Presonus Firebox with firewire 400 that I use for audio recordings. I only want to use the controller for midi and not audio. Just curious how I should set that up in my macbook pro.

thx in advance
    Simon James

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Hello,
    Since you only want to use the Korg as a MIDI input device, the set up is pretty easy.
    1. Plug the MIDI cable labeled "In" into the Korg MIDI port labeled "Out." This will send the MIDI note data (pitch, velocity, and duration) to the Macbook Pro (MBP).
    2. Plug the MIDI cable labeled "Out" into the Korg MIDI port labeled "In."
    3. Connect the USB end of the cable to a USB port on your MBP.

Verify the connection by opening the Audio MIDI Setup utility which is located in the Utilities folder, within the MBP Applications folder. If the cable appears as an active MIDI device, you're good to go.

In Logic, create a Software Instrument track, insert an instrument, then play notes with your Korg.

4. Simon James

Simon James New Member

Thx for your reply. I wasn't sure if I was needing a midi box in between. I hooked up all the cables as you mentioned but the Korg isn't appearing in the midi audio set up page. The midi to usb cable is a Roland cable and it has a midi-in,midi-out and a usb light, none of which light up when connecting or playing. Faulty cable? There's no issue with this sub cable and the MBP having a usb 3.0 port is there? I thought it would be quick and easy to go but can't bring up the Korg on the MBP.
    Thx in advance.
    Simon

Attached Files:

5. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

6. Simon James

Simon James New Member

Ah, got it. It was the driver. Thanks so much for your help.