1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Connection Lost between MIDI controller and Logic Pro 9/Mainstage

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by jaikumar.sivalingam, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jaikumar.sivalingam

jaikumar.sivalingam New Member

Hi All,

I have been facing this issue for quite sometime-

The connection between my MIDI controller (CME UFO 70/M-Audio) and Logic Pro 9/Mainstage 2.0 seem to be lost while playing or sometimes when I
    Leave them idle for about 10 minutes. Request your help to sort this issue..

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

1. Do you use USB power for the keyboard? Then try with the external power supply.

2. Is the keyboard connected via an USB cable? Then open the Audio/MIDI Setup when you lose the connection and check if the device is still available (not greyed out). If it is grey, you may have an USB problem. If you use an USB hub, try without it. If there is no hub, try another USB cable.

3. If you use a MIDI cable only, check in the Audio/MIDI Setup if the MIDI interface disappears.

4. If you cannot locate the problem with the above methods, install Midi Monitor and check if the keyboard or the Mac interrrupts the connection (no more MIDI messages coming in) or if Logic/Mainstage stops to respond (incoming MIDI messages but no reaction in the software).

4. jaikumar.sivalingam

Thank you so much Peter for all the suggestions provided.

1. Tried with External power the connection was still lost.

2. When I open Audio MIDI Set up only the internal microphone and external speakers were highlighted.I don't see any other as I am using CME UF 70 Midi Controller. Cud u pls tell me how to use Audio MIDI setup...

I have a to buy a new USB cable I guess...

3.I don't use a MIDI cable.

4.I have installed MIDI monitor lemme monitor :)

5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Also, make sure you have the most current driver and firmware updates for that keyboard to work with your version of the Mac OS.

6. Peter Ostry

You are on the audio page. Go to the menu and open the MIDI window. There you find your controller. If it's icon is grey, it is disconnected.

Nothing to do there for now. Just look if your controller shows up when you lose the MIDI stream.

7. jaikumar.sivalingam

Hi Tried everything suggested here , Still the connection gets lost after 40 mins between Logic Pro 9 and CME UF70 Classic. Please help me or Could you suggest me a midi controller which is stable enough and doesn't gets disconnected because I play LIVE and its so annoying when the connection goes in between the concert... Need your help right now...

8. Peter Ostry

Just two ideas ...

If you have an USB hub this must be powered. We should never use passive hubs.

If you have a MIDI interface you can try to connect the keyboard via MIDI instead of USB, at least for playing. Try with only one MIDI cable first.

---

Otherwise ... no good news ... here is the link to a Gearslutz thread. Mostly CME bashing but you may find similarities to your problems:
    New CME UF CLASSIC Midi Keyboards.. Any Experience?

---

I am not a keyboarder and don't know these devices well. I heard that the Fame keyboards are much better than their price would suggest. Internal sounds seem to be rather bad but the keys and functions are reported as good. I know that the old Yamaha and Kurzweil keyboards are very good but they are heavy and you may miss modern control functions. If you look for high-end devices, Doepfer keyboards belong to the best "real" masterkeyboards available. They are built into a flight case but have just a few controls and their price is far beyond CME, M-Audio or similar gear.

In the lower price range you may look at Novation controllers, they are widely used.

But I think we have a lot of people here in the forum who use keyboard controllers on stage and may want to recommend something. I am not the right person for that.