Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering buying LP X but Concerned About Bugs

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by b-rob, Jul 29, 2014.

1. b-rob

b-rob New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the this group and working with DAWs. I'm currently recording on a Zoom R24, pushing tracks to my iMac (OS X 10.9.2), and using Audacity to mix and do some basic processing. Logic looks great and I want to start learning a full-featured DAW, but I've seen a number of threads about LP X being buggy to the point that I'm not sure whether to go ahead and jump in now or wait until it's more stable. I have a couple of questions for the list ...

- Does anyone know if the latest release of Logic Pro X supports using a Zoom R24 as a controller? I know Logic does overall but saw a thread somewhere that said it's not working with the latest release.

- My main concern whether the version shipping now is stable enough to learn the basics without struggling with a lot of crashes or basic functions not working properly. I can't tell from what I've read how disruptive the bugs are, and would appreciate hearing some informed opinions on it.

Thanks for your help!

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Check with Zoom support. Most if the time you will find posts about problems, not much about satisfied customer, which could give a bad impression. Often issues are due to trivial causes like obsolete driver use, improper settings, etc...
    After browsing the web, I found different links where it is explained how to use the R24 with Logic Pro X either as a sound card or MIDI controller.

Logic Pro X 10.0.7 is not as bug-free as LP 9.1.8 is, but offers unrivaled features that makes it a no return back. In short, I would not return to LP9. LPX in its last version has been substantially cleaned from many bugs. There are still many but not to the point it makes it hard to work with. LPX in its last version does not crash more than LP9.
    That being said, expect a steep learning curve if you dont have much experience with DAWs. Logic is definitely one of the most powerful, ifnot the most powerful DAW out there. Basic stuff is under easy reach but the deeper you go, the more demanding it gets from the operator. However, acquired knowledge is tremendously rewarding in offered possibilities.

5. b-rob

b-rob New Member

Thanks - yes my iMac is running 10.9.2, has 8GB mem, and 1TB storage so I'm good there. I'll update to 10.9.4 before installing. Appreciate your quick response.

Bill

6. b-rob

b-rob New Member

[/QUOTE]
    Logic Pro X 10.0.7 is not as bug-free as LP 9.1.8 is, but offers unrivaled features that makes it a no return back. In short, I would not return to LP9. LPX in its last version has been substantially cleaned from many bugs. There are still many but not to the point it makes it hard to work with. LPX in its last version does not crash more than LP9.
    That being said, expect a steep learning curve if you dont have much experience with DAWs. Logic is definitely one of the most powerful, ifnot the most powerful DAW out there. Basic stuff is under easy reach but the deeper you go, the more demanding it gets from the operator. However, acquired knowledge is tremendously rewarding in offered possibilities.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll follow up on Zoom forums about using the R24 as a controller. Even if there are problems with that I'll go ahead and get LP X, now that I have positive feedback from knowledgeable folks. I expect the learning curve - as long as I can get the basics working the rest will come with time. Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

7. humbo

humbo New Member

Don"t do it

Until they address the massive bug issues their going through, I would leave it for now. Lets put it this way. I've been working with Logic since Logic 5. It has been the one production software I always turn to (especially there comp editing function). I recently purchased a new macbook pro (with every possible hardware option available) for location recording gigs. At the same time, I decided to opt for the new Logic Pro x 10.0.7. Why? I got lured by the flashy GUI, and price. Now it exists on my drive just taking up space. I can't us it for serious projects because I cannot afford it crapping out on me in front of a client (which they would come back at me with the "why aren't you using protools" comment). I'm still using a bug free Logic 9.

8. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I'd like to know where humbo got a "bug free" copy of Logic 9, or any software with more than 2 lines of code.

Logic X is very stable -- I've had it running for days at a time -- but it does have a lot of minor bugs. Speaking as someone still finding my way around Logic, the bugs cause confusion because you don't know if problems are caused by a bug or something you're doing wrong. But if you look at some of the tutorial available, and look here for help, there's nothing that will stop you getting things done.

9. humbo

humbo New Member

Bought Logic 9 from my local music store, boxed (remember, when you could actually have the product in your hands). Like I've stated, I've been using logic since logic 5 (PC at the time), and have used Logic in all it's glorious incarnations since. We have upgraded our computer at the studio to a 2014 mac pro with 32 gigs of ram and 6 core I7s (we were informed that the 8 core was a tad bit unstable). Logic 9 works wonderfully on this platform, as it did with our old G5 mac tower with only 8 gigs of ram and 4 core processor. We also have shared work with other studios that utilize logic 9 without a glitch. So, about finding a version of logic 9 that wasn't buggy...I guess I and ten others have lucked out for approximately four years.

10. humbo

humbo New Member

BTW, I've also watched all available tutorials on Logic Pro X, and have perused your site form time to time (since Logic 9). I use other DAWs as well. Ableton, Cubase, SlowTools ( Oops, did I say that?), Reaper, and Samplitude Pro X Suite ( my favourite personal DAW). Obviously a few of those are PC based. The ones I have loaded on my macbook pro work perfectly along with logic 9. The issues I'm having with Logic Pro X are wierd glitchy noises when calling up the new and improved logic plugins and screen crashes when the pointer is moved too erratically. Other blogs have mentioned that the issues I'm experiencing maybe GUI/screen related i.e. Retina display. Still waiting for that "Z" DAW though. Anyone?

11. charlie

charlie Senior member

b-rob, there are also a lot of tutorial options out there. A couple of the gurus here have actually written books on Logic but there are video tutorials as well.
    macprovideo.com is one source I have personally learned a LOT from.
    Best of luck!