Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering SSD, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by HKC, Mar 13, 2015.

1. HKC

HKC Senior member

Hi there
    A friend of mine who uses very large sample libraries like the Hollywood series from Eastwest is considering changing his sample drives to SSD discs to bring down the load times.
    He writes scores for symphonic orchestras so he uses a MacPro with almost max RAM and still sometimes his load times is 15-30 min which I can easily understand feels like a waste of time.
    My question is: Will changing the SSD disc help this, I have already asked people outside of the music industry (but in the computer industry) and they assure me that it will but I am still not completely convinced. Also, will any disc fit into the MacPros (Mid 2010 generation). He's looking at the big ones like Samsung 840 EVO SSD which is 1TB and apparently the biggest one at the moment. He will need two of them so if anybody knows of a cheaper way to get 2TBs of SSD please chip in (he only has to internal spaces left).
    Thanks in advance

Henrik Krogh

3. BenB

BenB New Member

SSD drives are not so cut and dried, they can be more complicated.

You want to look at Other World Computing (.com)'s solutions. Best around.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MMP35T25/

Now, the data buss that is inside that Mac Pro is slower than the SSD drive itself, so you won't get full SSD drive performance. You'll want to look into something like this, also.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID

There is also the RAID solution. I'm running a T'bolt 12TB RAID, Promise Pegasus P2, with four 4TB drives, each spinning platter and 7200rpm. I get better performance than a single SSD drive via T'bolt. So a RAID via T'bolt, or USB 3.0, with 7200rpm drives will be faster than a single SSD drive, and cost much less per GB than a single SSD.

Yes, and SSD drive will improve system performance, if all the other components that make up the "system" as a whole match up properly.

4. HKC

HKC Senior member

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what my friend ended up doing but if he gets back to me about this subject I will let him know that to increase the performance he will probably need a newer machine than his mid 2010 Mac Pro :)

All the Best
    HKC