1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering switching to Logix Pro X

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Morpheo, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Morpheo

Morpheo New Member

Considering switching to Logic Pro X

Hi everyone,

I'm working in film music and have been using Pro Tools for more than 10 years. Avid just launched Pro Tools 12 and their infamous new licensing policy (subscription/support plan). Basically if you don't get on the plan ($199/year or $599/year for Pro Tools HD) you lose the ability to get upgrades in the future and you have to buy PT at full price again. They announced a bunch of new cloud features for PT12 but nobody cares yet Avid wants us to believe it's the next big thing. Anyway... I still use Pro Tools and I have a year to decide what I want about the new "plan". Meanwhile, I could get Logix Pro X for $199, with no ilok protection, with no subscription crap, with no limitation between an HD version and a vanilla version (that's what Pro Tools non-HD is called).

Now... I have tried in the past to use Logic, that was with version 9. Unfortunately I was never able to get used to its workflow and (supposedly) complex, if not complicated, UI. But I don't mind the learning curve either. Things have changed now with X. I also need to work with OMF/AAF on a regular basis, I use a lot of VIs (Reason, NI Komplete, Vienna, Synthmaster, Pianoteq, to name a few). How about working with video in Logic X?

What would you recommend? I know I can't "try" Logic - just looking for some advice. Should I try garageband first? ;) I'm on 10.10.2 and a cMP 5,1 with 40 GB or ram, plus another cMP 1,1 with 16 of ram. Both are running with Yosemite.
  3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

I've been using Logic since it was Notator 2.0, and Pro Tools since v.6 for posting video. I've been writing music in Logic and mixing in PT for 10 years now, and I like the results, but if your focus is music for film, I'm sure Logic will provide an exciting step up. I've had to concentrate on the final mix, so PT has been essential for dialogue and SFX editing, but Logic has always been vastly superior for music. I've only had Logic X for a few weeks now, so I can't comment on how well it might handle the full mix (I'm still a little lost writing music with it, as I've only had a couple of hours total with it and the interface is quite different from LP9) but there are definite improvements that I can see in the built-in instruments, and my experience with its stability has been extremely satisfactory compared with PT11. HTH
  4. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Morpheo,

I feel your pain. Logic is my main DAW, but I also use Pro Tools,and have been following the subscription/support soap opera from the sidelines (I'm still on PT 10).

To answer your question, yes; definitely try out GarageBand first. The new version of Garageband is finally what it should have been all along; a scaled down version of Logic. It will definitely give you a solid idea of the feel and functionality of Logic Pro X. Of course the advanced features are missing; but the workflow and "feel" of it is almost identical to Logic. So, you'll definitely get a sense of what it is like using Logic from it.
  5. Morpheo

Morpheo New Member

Thanks for your replies.

I downloaded GB and will play with it this weekend :) I must admit I'm very tempted, right now there must be about 80% chances I'll go with Logic, just realized my controller (Yamaha KX8) would suddenly unleash its full potential with LPX as well. That's not to say I'll be leaving PT for good, but if LPX does ALL I need, i.e. all I can do with PT, then who knows.

(Eli you're from mtl? small world... ;)) Thanks again for your advices Sonny and Eli.
  6. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

And I'm in Toronto - it's an all-Canadian thread!

To expand on what I said before, I found PT invaluable for things like voiceover editing and sfx spotting, and I think I can see some improvements in Logic X to bring it up to par in those departments, but if you're primarily doing music, I think you'll be won over fairly quickly. I always found PT kludgy for music - Logic is vastly superior in that world.

Also, anything that feels like it's 'missing' in GB is likely covered in Logic; it's deep, but sometimes you'll need to consult this board to find out how deep, as the manual is less intuitive than the LUG.
  7. McLovin

McLovin New Member

Thumbs up for logic. I came from nuendo and cubase and now that I use logic I'll never look back