1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Controlling Tempo by external (incremental) encoder?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Per Boysen, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Hi,

I want to set up an incremental MIDI encoder on my Push for controlling Logic's tempo. I already know how to do this with an encoder sendin direct/absolut CC values, by using a Tempo Fader in Logic's environment and set it to react to the used CC number. But how can I do this with an incremental encoder?

I've some experience with scripting in the Mobius sampler/looper and from that I'm guessing that what Logic needs here is something that "adds one BPM value if the encoder changes upwards and strips off one BPM value if the encoder data changes downwards" Right? I've done that in Bidule too, with its excellent object oriented scripting interface - but what gives in the Logic Environment?

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

If the encoder sends data to the environment, it should be possible to convert that. I would need to know which data the Physical Input receives.

If no usable data is received or in a complicated pattern, you may try another option:
    Use Controller Assignments to map the encoder to a parameter (volume, pan, plugin parameter etc) of a dummy channelstrip, get the data from the MIDI output of the channelstrip and convert it to the Meta event for the tempo fader.

4. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Hi Peter,

The knob sends CC#14 through MIDI channel 1. But it is 2's Compliment "relative mode" data, not "absolute". That's my problem. Anything in Logic that supports its Controller Assignments system works fine - but that pesky Tempo Fader in the environment doesn't. Your suggested workaround with a dummy channelstrip seems logical. Thank you for the input, but I think I will try to stay away from another weird workaround and shift around the assignments instead; using an absolute mode knob for Tempo and the relative mode knob for Master Volume. That makes the knob assignments for Logic different but in all other applications I'm using the Push with as a controller and instrument - but I think it is still going to be less hassle than depending on a template with a dummy channelstrip fader assignment. I just have to remember to use different knobs when working in Logic.