1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Drum Recording to Notation

Discussion in 'Music Creation' started by dougjammer, Jul 20, 2015.

1. dougjammer

dougjammer New Member

Is it possible to take a recorded drum track and convert it to notation?
    (I use Logic X)
  3. angelonyc

angelonyc New Member

If the drums are on independent tracks, easy, snare on track 1, kick on track 2 etc.. You want to highlight the track and select audio to score.. Logics audio to score pitch is bad, but timing is very good.. So you will get notes for kicks.. different velocities may be different notes - you have to fix pitch to C2.. adjust each drum sound to corred midi map note.. you can merge all notes to one track, in score page, set the staff to drums..

If of course you have the drum midi file, the work is done.. If your using an audio loop of mixed drums, that is a lot more work.. Again Logics audio to score is good for timing, but not for pitch.. If the track is not complicated, I would just play along with drum loop.. you could look at autoscored midi track and hand and fix each instrument.. Melodyne is better, with the pitch.. but not a lot.

You can also blow up the drum audio file quite large. and put midi notes in a track under it. That sometimes works ok..
  4. dougjammer

dougjammer New Member

Thanks for the tips. I want to try the audio to score setting but can't find it. I was on the main page and highlighted my audio drum track, but don't see conversion to score as an option.
    Doug Jamieson
  5. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Open the Audio File Editor and enable Flex Pitch. Then under Edit scroll down to Create MIDI Track from Pitch Data.