1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 converting recorded midi chord track information

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by shawnshawnt, Mar 3, 2011.

1. shawnshawnt

shawnshawnt New Member

I want to take a recorded midi track consisting of various chords as the source for another track which will translate the chords into separate notes and record said notes onto a separate track. Any help will be appreciated.

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I'm not quite clear on what you want to do. Logic can take a track with 4 note chords (for example) and assign each voice to its own track - you'd end up with four tracks. Good for moving piano voicings to horn parts, for example.. Is that what you want? There is no "recording" involved.

Possible technique:

Score Editor>Functions>Note Events>Select Highest (or Lowest) Notes. Copy or cut these, paste to new track. Repeat as needed.
  4. shawnshawnt

shawnshawnt New Member

Not Quite.
    Track one:I would like to create a midi track containing chords. Then use that track's midi chord information as input to pass into an arpeggiator.

Track two:The arpeggiator would then record individual notes onto a separate track.
  5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Here's the recipe:

* In the Environment, go to instrument 1 that is playing back the chord.

* Create an arpeggiator object.

* Cable the output at the top left of instrument one into the arpeggiator.

* Option click on the cable outlet of your arpeggiator, and cable it into the "Input Notes" object in the Clicks and Ports layer.

* Select track two in the Arrange Window and hit record. It will capture the arpeggiated notes from the chord.

* You need to turn this routing off before playing back the recorded file, or there will be a feedback loop.

* You might want to make a cable switcher button to easily turn this process on/off.

Here's a simple version of it:
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Can't seem to upload it now, the attachment function seems to be broken ??
  7. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Much clearer and specific to what you need to do - Eli has it covered, although he seems to have a problem with his "attachment'.....;)
  8. shawnshawnt

shawnshawnt New Member

Thank you vary much
  9. Eli

Eli Senior member

Here it is - I was finally able to upload it.

Attached Files:

10. shawnshawnt

shawnshawnt New Member

That's very nice of you!
    Thanks once again.