1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Audio Configuration

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by HKC, Feb 24, 2014.

1. HKC

HKC Senior member

What the.....
    Has Copy/paste Audio Configuration been taken out of X. I haven't used it for a while and it seems to be missing. Why would they do that.

All the Best
  3. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

Logic 7 had that function - as far as I recall it's been gone since Logic 8.
    So it must really be a while….

I keep Logic 7 for this purpose, as well as opening old projects.
  4. HKC

HKC Senior member

Oh no I have just checked, it was there in 9.
    I use it a lot when I record bands who want to track their songs completely live. On such occasions it's very quick during mix to just paste everything from the first mixed song and the set the levels from there because everything is tracked to the same tracks.
    I just haven't done that kind of work for 6 months or so because bands who can actually play their songs are getting a little rare.
    I of course realise that I can make presets but it takes maybe 10-12 min pr song (opposed to 10-12 sec) which runs up in 2 hours if the band has recorded 10 songs.
    It not a big deal but I simply don't understand why they removed the feature. On the other hand I seem to be the only one missing it. Are bands that can play live really that rare. Hopefully not.....
  5. stv_collins

stv_collins New Member

Can you turn things around to get the same effect? Save the first mix, without the audio files, as a template. Create a new project from the template. Then paste the audio files from the next tracked song into the new project. Is it too risky/compute-intensive to do the paste? (I'm strictly an amateur, so I apologize if I have overlooked something obvious.)

6. Colin Shapiro

Maybe we're talking about 2 different things?

In Logic 7, if your old song was configured for ASIO for example, you could go to the [Audio] menu and select [Audio configuration]. Then you'd select ASIO from the Device menu, then you'd copy the config, then select Core Audio and paste. All the channel strips would now be configured for CoreAudio with plugins and presets all loaded.

Can you do this in Logic 9?
  7. HKC

HKC Senior member

In Logic 8 and 9 there is an option to copy the entire mixer setup. It's in the mixer page and is called "Copy Audio Configuration". If you do that in one song "Paste Audio Configuration" will be black (as opposed to greyed out) in the following songs you open. I remember the other option as well but that was replaced with this other (better and less obscure) way to do this.
    As for importing the audio files, sure I could do that but it would also take longer because I usually start the song with a click. Not to follow the entire song but just to make sure that the delays a fairly in time and also to make it easier to try another tempo only slightly higher. I would have to adjust this for the new one. Also occasionally bits and pieces are fixed, a wrong note on the bass or maybe two different takes of the entire song.
    It would take more than the 10-12 min to import this.
    I guess I just have to use the presets which aren't terrible per song at all, unless you add the time wasted together.
  8. Colin Shapiro

Thanks - I forgot about this.
    This works for projects that are already configured for CoreAudio (or your default) but of course it won't work for updating old songs that you have to open in Logic 7.x

What you want is definitely missing in Logic Pro X. You should send feedback to Apple and ask to get it back.

A final thought:
    Could you maybe import the environment and get your settings that way? If all the tracks are the same per song, that might be fast.
  9. HKC

HKC Senior member

That won't work because the plugins aren't part of the environment
    import. I just tried it to be absolutely sure.
    Anyway it´s not a big deal, just a strange thing to remove since it worked very well but being the only user I can hardly blame them for not thinking to highly of this feature :)
  10. Colin Shapiro

Lots of stuff was removed in Logic X.
    I used to like the Audio Energizer in the Sample window - it's gone.
    The Audio to Score function is gone as well. Groove Machine - gone.

I've sent in feature requests to Apple for everything I'd like to get back - I don't care if I'm the only one and I doubt that I am.

Anyway, I've just asked to get the Audio Config copy/paste function back….
  11. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Colin,

The audio to score function is still there. It's been renamed though. It's now part of the flex pitch functionality. It is in the Audio Track Editor, under the Edit menu. It's called "create MIDI track from flex pitch data".

And the Groove machine functionality is "sorta" still there as well; better and simpler than ever. Enable Groove Track in the Configure Track Header dialog box. Now you can click in the new groove track field that appears in each tracks header at the far left and have any tracks you want follow the groove and feel of the designated groove track.
  12. Colin Shapiro

Hi Eli

Thanks for that - I guess I just hadn't looked deep enough. :thmbup: