Logic Pro 8 copying channel strips

peterlemer

Logician
Having set up a nice strip to manage the voice, including compression, eq and reverb send, I always create an identical strip on a different audio track to enable dropping in - it allows the singer to hear what's come before and I don't need to be picky about drop-in points. As the song progresses, I switch between them and join them up after the recording process is finished.

ditto with overdubs.

I can't always tell beforehand how many she wants to do, and quite often nor does she :)

Each time I have to create a new audio track I have to copy in the comp/eq/send plugins and settings, and do this twice.

Is there a way to create new audio tracks with exactly the same plugins and settings, on a new audio track, via a simple copy command?

peter

Having set up a nice strip to manage the voice, including compression, eq and reverb send, I always create an identical strip on a different audio track to enable dropping in - it allows the singer to hear what's come before and I don't need to be picky about drop-in points. As the song progresses, I switch between them and join them up after the recording process is finished.

ditto with overdubs.

I can't always tell beforehand how many she wants to do, and quite often nor does she :)

Each time I have to create a new audio track I have to copy in the comp/eq/send plugins and settings, and do this twice.

Is there a way to create new audio tracks with exactly the same plugins and settings, on a new audio track, via a simple copy command?

peter

No but if you save it as a Channel Strip Setting, you can add it to any Channel Strip of the same kind.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's possible. There's the duplicate track command which does exactly that.
Standard (I believe) it has the Cmd-D key-command (or click on the button next to
the '+' button to the left of the bar ruler).

Upvote 0
Yes, it's possible. There's the duplicate track command which does exactly that.
Standard (I believe) it has the Cmd-D key-command (or click on the button next to
the '+' button to the left of the bar ruler).

Oh, good lord, of course. I had a senior moment. :)

Of course, that only works in the same project whereas the Channel Strip Setting allows you to use it in any project.

Upvote 0
There are copy and paste functions for the channel strips both in the header of the channel strips and in the key commands... I suggest setting up the latter if you use it frequently.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Okay - official thread hijacking alert: Everything that has been posted here is great solid advice. I'm going to suggest something different. Why not punch in on the same track and set things to "create take folder" mode. Seriously, I resisted using it plenty myself. But the take folders work great, even for punching in.

If you don't want to worry about setting in and out points, just do punch on the fly. Do as many passes as you need. Then expand the take folder after and audition the takes. No worries if the in and out points don't match from take to take. You can use the shift key to alter the selection boundaries.

Now, overdubs are a different story - all the conventional wisdom above applies. But think about giving take folders a try for your punch ins. You may find it makes managing your session easier and less complicated.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Okay - official thread hijacking alert: Everything that has been posted here is great solid advice. I'm going to suggest something different. Why not punch in on the same track and set things to "create take folder" mode. Seriously, I resisted using it plenty myself. But the take folders work great, even for punching in.

If you don't want to worry about setting in and out points, just do punch on the fly. Do as many passes as you need. Then expand the take folder after and audition the takes. No worries if the in and out points don't match from take to take. You can use the shift key to alter the selection boundaries.

Now, overdubs are a different story - all the conventional wisdom above applies. But think about giving take folders a try for your punch ins. You may find it makes managing your session easier and less complicated.

Only problem is that if the singer likes to hear what's before the actual punch in point (like stated by the original poster) and you want to use loop recording, then that's not going to work on the same audio track (with or without take folders) as with loop recording, the pre-roll gets ignored after the first pass.

Besides this, take folders is a very nice feature. Use it a lot myself.

Upvote 0
Hey Multispace -

I beg to differ. Check out the auto input monitoring feature to control hearing the source track material before the punch in point.

And as far as loop recording with preroll - not a problem. You can easily set separate cycle length and autodrop cycle lengths. So you can loop a larger portion than the area to be be punched in on.

Upvote 0
Hey Multispace -

I beg to differ. Check out the auto input monitoring feature to control hearing the source track material before the punch in point.

And as far as loop recording with preroll - not a problem. You can easily set separate cycle length and autodrop cycle lengths. So you can loop a larger portion than the area to be be punched in on.

Well, that hasn't work for quite a while now. At least for me it hasn't.
If I have recorded something and then make a cycle and within that cycle an autodrop (now called autopunch btw) which is shorter than the cycle (to mimic a pre-roll), then I don't hear what's been recorded before the punch in point (even with auto-input monitoring on) plus after 1 cycle, Logic goes out of record mode and into playback mode.

So if you can get it to work, please tell me how! :)

Upvote 0
Hey Multispace,

I do have to confess, I haven't tried it recently. I'm not at home right now - but will check it out in a few days when I'm back in my studio.

Upvote 0
jay, that's a whole new menu to me after so many years! thanks :)

Is there any way to ensure that new tracks/channels have an empty track number? As it is, I'm copy/paste/moving existing tracks to create more.

peter

Upvote 0
multispace - I found those commands in L8, thanks! :)

I can't find these commands on L7, which the current project is loaded in.
Is this one of those features that Apple have added that deserve acknowledgement?

peter

Upvote 0
taken on board, eli - thanks again! .

however, the current project ( several songs) is set within L7 and I don;t think Take folders are implemented there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using L8 for less important projects until I'm happy that it can do what I need, and that I can learn what's different. This thread has shown two clear improvements that add to the attractions of L8 - track duping and take folders ( although I have yet to give those a go - it's rather a matter of /who/ is recommending that I do IYKWIM :)

peter

Upvote 0
multispace - I found those commands in L8, thanks! :)

I can't find these commands on L7, which the current project is loaded in.
Is this one of those features that Apple have added that deserve acknowledgement?

peter

Hi Peter,
Actually, I can't remember anymore if that option (duplicating track
with settings) was available in L7 as well. It should be in the local (Arrange window) menu somewhere if it is available.
Maybe a search in the keycommands window otherwise.

Mark

Upvote 0
Back