Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Copying grooves (groove templates)

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Actonboy, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Actonboy

Actonboy New Member

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has advice on the best process. I'd like to copy some drum patterns from african recordings (interesting polyrhythms etc). I guess this would be a groove template? Is there a way I can kindve trace the audio recording? Or do you guys just line up another channel and line up midi notes manually that way?
    I hope I am making sense. Any advice much appreciated on the best approach...

3. angelonyc

angelonyc New Member

Use flex pitch and convert audio to midi.. The pitches will be all wrong, but the timing of the notes should be good.. Have the audio track and the midi track in the TRACKS page.. Blow up fairly large.. Now all midi notes should be corresponding to an audio note, but the midi notes may be all over the place. .. You will have to move the midi note to the correct pitch to select the drum in the instrument patch you are using.. This works exquisitely well, with mono drum tracks, not so much with polyphonic music.. it would depend on how thick the percussion tracks are, a lot of reverb etc.

Personally I find melodeon is better at getting pitch.. although drums can be tricky because of the sound.