Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Create Drum notation from midi file from Yamaha DTX 500 Drum kit

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Gemnnsw, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Gemnnsw

Gemnnsw New Member

Ok so I am a real newbie. Never used Logic before but am looking for some help. I want to be able to create a drum notation score from a midi file created by a yamaha DTX500 drum module (electric drumkit is Yamaha DTX550).

I am using a Motu fastlane USB midi interface connected to computer.

In Logic I can record the midi file from the drum kit but this is where I am then getting stuck.

What I want to achieve is to be able to play a rhythm on the drumkit, have it record in Logic (I can achieve this so far) and then using templates or whatever be able to quickly create a drum notation score. Currently every midi file that records shows more like a piano score than a drum score.

I have followed Sams handy guide to drum notation in Logic which has been excellent.

So perhaps I need to create an initial drum notation score manually from a midi recorded from the drum kit but then how can those settings be remembered so every midi from that device will then give me drum notation and not piano notation.

Any help that can be offered will be appreciated and please remember this is very new to me and I am still trying to learn. With thanks.
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Make sure you're using a mapped staff style - the default is #Drums. If it looks like a piano score you're probably using something else.

The tutorial should work - looks OK at a real quick glance.