1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Custom drum maps? Altering drum samples?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by schlimmster, Mar 14, 2012.

1. schlimmster

schlimmster New Member

I'm new to Logic, so please be gentle. ;-)

Logic comes with some great drum and percussion sounds, but I'd like to create my own customized drum maps across my Akai MPK88 controller. I'd like to choose where various samples are located on the keyboard, tune the drums, etc.

I used to be able to do this on my ancient Cakewalk system back in the 90s, so I'm guessing it should be possible with my brand new Mac-based Logic rig. I had a very knowledgeable friend come by for a consult and he couldn't figure out how to do it.

Can anyone provide some very specific suggestions or links that would help?

Thanks very much in advance.

Al

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Sounds like what you are looking for are the "Mapped Instruments" in the Environment. They allow for per note mapping of note number, MIDI channel, cable, etc. Check it out in the manual and see if it is what you are looking for.

Also, you need to ask yourself what software instruments(s) you will be using for the drum sounds. If they are EXS 24 instruments for example, you can bypass using the Mapped Instruments, and just set the EXS 24 instruments with the samples mapped as you want them. OTOH, if you have a bunch of EXS 24 instruments with the same mappings that need to be altered, use a Mapped Instrument and just do the work once.

4. schlimmster

schlimmster New Member

Thanks Eli. I think I get what you're saying. It is the EXS 24 instruments I want to alter, and I just want to pick two or three kits and alter/combine them. So I guess I should re-map through EXS 24. But that's what I'm having trouble figuring out how to do. And my friend, who's much more facile than I at this, also had trouble figuring out how to alter mapping within EXS 24. Is there a quick hint you can give me regarding remapping and altering samples (tuning, etc.) within EXS 24?

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

There are a couple of ways to approach it. Below is a screen shot of the EXS 24 editor with the factory Indie Drum Kit loaded in. You could remap by dragging the samples around graphically and placing them over the notes of the keyboard that you want. And then you'll see on the top part, that you can alter the coarse or fine pitch of each sample/zone.

But I think I would suggest a hybrid of both using both the Mapped Instrument and the EXS 24 editor for you in your case. It ironically might be simpler.

Use the Mapped Instrument for simple remapping of what notes on your controller trigger which notes in the EXS 24. This is what the Mapped Instrument is really good at. Simple remapping of trigger notes to output notes. Do this part of it there; it's easier than doing it in the EXS 24 editor. Plus you'll have the advantage of just having to do it once and it can apply to all kits that use the same mappings.

Then when it comes to actually retuning individual samples, do _that_ part in the EXS 24 editor. That's what the editor is really good at :D

Don't forget to save your EXS instruments once you've altered your tunings. And you should be good to go!

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Oops - forgot the screen shot....

Attached Files:

7. schlimmster

schlimmster New Member

Can't wait to try this. Thanks Eli!

Al

8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Some additional information to digest that may help you:
    - Read the Logic User Manual chapter "Environment Objects Reference" section on Mapped Instrument Objects

- Read up on Hyper Sets in the Hyper Editor

- http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr08/articles/logictech_0408.htm

- http://logic-cafe.com/Article_View.asp?ID=66

Mapped drum instruments and Hyper Sets in the Hyper Editor are a powerful combo for drum mapping. You can create Hyper Sets for your most frequently used software instrument drum presets or external devices.

9. schlimmster

schlimmster New Member

Will do. Thank you.