1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Dictating tempo via touch.

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Fnyate, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Fnyate

Fnyate New Member

I'm not necessarily new to Logic, but I just switched over entirely from ProTools and I need to know how to accomplish my beat settings the way I did before.

I used to be able to click the metronome and hit the spacebar at a certain rate and get a tempo out of it. This, to me was the best because I'm alright at everything but percussion.

What are my options here? I can't seem to derive my perfect tempo from logic studio. I'm sure I'm missing something here, as this seems like an all-encompassing piece of software. Can I manually make my own timing, is the real question.

3. gblack

gblack Member

The only way I know, that would work, is to use a keyboard, or the Caps Lock keyboard, and make a drum track, out of Klopgeist or EXS24 with a factory drum sample. Then record it, tapping the keyboard. find the section of the track you like, your "felt" beat, trim away the ends, Play it looped, and use the BPM counter Insert to tell you what the BPM reading is.

If there's an easier way, please speak up.

4. gblack

gblack Member

There is also a "Tap Tempo Interpreter", that I've never used. It might be what you're looking for. (Logic 9 manual, p. 1035).

5. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

In Protools 8, I can enter the tap tempo mode, then just tap my "T" key and Protools will average my last 8 taps.

But in Logic, I just turn on the click (during playback), start the song rolling, and then click drag the tempo selector in the transport bar up or down until the click matches the tempo I want. You can tap on anything, the wall, a drum, whatever, until the click matches up with your rhythm.

If you like making things needlessly complex, Logic does have a "Tempo Interpreter" Window. From the main Logic menu, select "Options --> Tempo --> Tempo Interpreter"

That lets you use the computer keyboard, a selected software instrument or an external MIDI instrument to tap in the tempo.

6. Fnyate

Fnyate New Member

All great points guys. Thanks for the help. There has been some growing pains, but I find Logic to be a lot more intuitive than protools, and since I don't have my own drum kit, its the best thing to create percussion for now.