Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Disc is too slow or system overload: Apple Support article no help

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by peterlemer, Apr 21, 2016.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

My project lives on a 1TB partition on a 4TB G-Drive Pro connected to my iMac via Thunderbolt

My CPU usage monitor doesn't shout anything obvious,

yet playback stalls and I get "Disc is too slow or system overload" alert.
    ( no plugins active on output)

This never happened with my cheesegrater with internal drives.

This is not what the help article that got me here advises.

Logic Pro X: System Overload messages - Apple Support

I have been advised on this group to copy my Logic Project to my iMac fusion drive and work on there.

I have one of the latest macs, an expensive THB drive, yet Logic can't perform transparently.

How can this be?

Any advice would be welcome

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Is your drive RPM 7200 or better?
  4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

5. Doug Zangar

Hi Peter. I really don't have any answers - that Apple article points out about everything I can think of except the drive speed, which you answered. The only other thought is if it was a corrupt project or corrupt audio files associated with it. So is this a common phenomenon or specific to one project?

Also, I used to occasionally run across too much automation causing problems - is this project heavy on the automation?
  6. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

I'll check some of the other projects in the same suite
  7. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

another thought: my iMac has 2 THB ports, one drives a 2nd display and the other drives the (supposedly) troublesome external THB drive. This in turn has a THB port which I connect, via THB-F800 connector, to my Fireface 800. Could there be issues on the THB shared buss when one leg is converting to FW800?
  8. Doug Zangar

That's a possibility. I haven't dealt with that scenario personally, so not familiar with it.

It's also possible the 2nd monitor is the problem (despite two ports maybe there is only one buss?). Consider moving the session to your internal drive and remove the 2nd monitor and interface. If it works well, add one and then the other back to see if there is a culprit.
  9. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

idea :)
    I already know that moving the project to the internal drive works cleanly.
    I think the next test will be to remove the 2nd display and put the Fireface in the 2nd iMac port, then run the external session again.
    further down the line is the possibility of getting a THB buss.
    I've yet to hear from G-Tech who have the same details as here