Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Dividing region mutes all tracks

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by pfloyd714714, Jan 9, 2013.

1. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

I have an audio region called "Fall Star." It plays fine. In the Arrange I use the scissor tool to divide the region. In the bin I now see Fall Star 2 and Fall Star 2.1. Both parts play in the Arrange as they should. If I now move one of the regions, however, the Fall Star regions no longer play and all other tracks in the song are muted. There is no hidden automation, etc.

I've never had this happen before. Has anyone else?

3. pfloyd714714

Further to my original post, after more toying with the thing I can confirm that moving any audio region in the Arrange mutes all tracks. Command-Z to restore the region to its original location brings back all sound.

Diseased project? I just created a new, empty project and imported an audio region from the project with the problem such difficulties.

4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Good problem solving!
  5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

As you've figured out, you do probably have a corrupt project and you'd do well to import the whole project into a new project.

You may well already follow this, but some simple basic troubleshooting tips when Logic is acting, well, illogical: (don't forget to save.....)

Close and re-open Logic - if no luck:
    Reboot computer (some people just go here first, skip above as it is an included step), if no luck:
    Import into fresh project

If you're still having problems, look into rebuilding preferences.
  6. pfloyd714714

Thanks for the advice. The only difficulty I foresee is that there are multiple tempo and time signature changes. Is this information difficult to import to a new project?

7. Doug Zangar

It all comes in - check out the import settings button on the bottom left of the import window if you need those.
  8. pfloyd714714

Thanks again, Doug. Some of the audio files have a fair amount of automation drawn in, some in more than one parameter. Is there a way to bring audio files into the new project with this info extant, or must I go back and forth between projects and copy/paste each parameter? It may be necessary, but it gets tedious.

Also, since there's a great deal of copy-from-this-old-project-and-paste-into-this-new-one, is it considered reasonable to have two projects open at once? Or is that courting disaster? (You know--more than the one in which I find myself already.)

9. Doug Zangar

Do not open two projects, use the Import feature.

All you need to do is open a new blank project - doesn't matter what type of track you create, you can delete it later.

In the new project go to File>Import (or use command I). Navigate to your source project file. Double click on it (the project icon, not the folder icon). Logic's browser tab will open.

Make sure all the buttons across the top are blue (they should be by default). At this point I do a "command A" key command to select all and then I check one check box in each column, all boxes in that column are then selected. The automation column is on the far right - you may have to scroll over to see it. With those boxes selected all your automation should come in. Just go to bottom right and click on Add button - DONE!

I've done this numerous times. Apple really got this feature right, it's always worked for me.
  10. pfloyd714714

OH MY! Thank you so much, Doug. The hours you saved me I cannot even begin to calculate. What a freakin' miracle that feature is. I looked in the printed manual (from Logic 8) but could find few details about the "Import" feature, and certainly no walk-through such as what you gave to me.

Thanks again, Doug. I really appreciate it.

11. Doug Zangar