Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Does Garageband for PC talk to Logic Pro X??

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by chalkncheese, Oct 9, 2015.

1. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

I need to do some collaborative work on my Mac / Logic platform with a guy who uses a PC, he asked me whether there was an affordable software that he could buy that would talk to Logic. I am wondering whether Garageband for PC is the simple answer. Does anyone know, will GB for PC talk to LPX?

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

If by "Garageband for PC" you mean a version of Garageband that runs in Microsoft Windows, there is no such thing. I suspect I'm misunderstanding something....

kind regards

4. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

ah, I see what you mean. I googled 'Garageband for Windows' and got loads of hits and so convinced myself there was a version for PC...when what they were saying they 'wished they had a version for PC', ha ha. OK so let's revise the question slightly, do you know what PC software LPX/Mac will collaborate with? I love Mac but generally find Apple make it hard when it comes to talking between platforms!
  5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

So far I know, Acoustica Mixcraft is similar to Garageband.
    But it is Windows only, so you both still can't use the same DAW.

You get 100% compatibility only with the same DAW. I don't know which DAW's are available for Mac and PC, and how good the transfer between the platforms is. And you probably do not want to buy and learn another DAW than you already have. With different DAWs, you can only exchange Audio and MIDI files. If you don't have the same instruments or depend on automation or other processing, you are restricted to audio files.

If there is no common DAW for you (and probably others), I suggest that everybody uses the DAW he/she likes most and you work via audio files. Many collaborations work this way, it just needs some planning.
  6. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

As Peter mentioned, there are quite a few DAWs which are cross platform, including PT, Cubase, Nuendo, DP, Reaper, Studio one, Ableton. Actually, Logic as Mac only and Samplitude/Sequioa as Windows only seem to be the exceptions. This doesn't answer your question of course. You can export audio and Midi from logic (probably the most practical way to go, if somewhat time consuming and inflexible) or (I hesitate in recommending this) attempt OMF or AAF - neither of which seem to be free of issues - but there is no simple "one click" solution to get a logic project up and running in another DAW - and no easy way to have "foreign" projects open in logic.

kind regards

7. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

Thanks guys, it does look like it is still as awkward to collaborate between platforms as it was 25 years ago, not much progress at all despite the noises Apple makes. Back to Audio and midi then....
  8. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

If cost is a big issue you could look at Ardour. It's more or less free, and covers most of the bases. But the problem you'll have: anything that gets close to the sort of capabilities you have with Logic will have a long learning curve, so unless this is a very long term relationship, it's not worth the time and effort.
  9. jsepeta

jsepeta New Member

Use ANY daw on Windows, then export stems