1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does this ring alarm bells?

Discussion in 'The LUG Lounge' started by tooloud, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tooloud

tooloud Member

recent updates of Final Cut, Aperture and iPhoto have required a minimum 10.7 OS.... anyone think that a future Logic major overhaul will follow suit?

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Yes a version of Logic X will be coming one day, pretty much 100% guaranteed. Don't know when, but I do know the answer is "yes".

That said, I really doubt with the lack of QT support and some other issues, 10.6 might be a minimum, but not 10.7...

4. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

It shouldn't ring alarm bells, that's progress. If a new version of Logic has features which need to use the latest OS, then it means it has some new features which need that OS, or it may well mean that Logic may have been rebuilt from the ground up and this is often a good thing.

Of course there may be things about it that people don't like, but upgrades are not compulsory. Logic 9 won't suddenly stop working.

5. bruno garza

bruno garza Member

Wow, Deja Vu Pete or you're just trying to emphasis your point. :thmbup:

6. Pete Thomas

Not at all, it's pure speculation. But based on the assumption of the OP that it might not work on pre Lion OS, plus if they go the FCPX route it would be a whole new architecture. We know from that Apple do like to think in those terms. At some stage they will say "instead of adding bits and pieces to Logic, why not look at what the ultimate DAW sequencer should be, and build that". At some stage in the development meeting somebody is going to say "hey, Garageband is much more intuitive, why not just take that as a starting point"….

Plenty of people would hate that of course, but as I said, if you don't like an upgrade, don't use it.

7. bruno garza

bruno garza Member

No, did you notice you posted twice. That's what I was commenting on. :D

As far as upgrades, I have no issues with that but I do see people post that they just upgraded and it doesn't work and I have a deadline tomorrow. They should only upgrade when they have time to test. :D

8. Pete Thomas

No

Yes, you can say that again.

Plus, make a backup of your drive before upgrading.

9. bruno garza

bruno garza Member

Wow, maybe it was Safari that was showing the post twice, now it's a single post. Weird.

10. Pete Thomas

Not weird, I deleted it once you pointed it out. I don't know why it happened in the first place.

11. tooloud

tooloud Member

a recent survey at synthtopia found nearly 60% of users were still on 10.6.8.... now that 10.8 is current..... how long until those of us who are happy with our choice of OS are excluded from possible Logic x upgrades?.... I'm still not seeing anything aimed at audio that would make me want to break my perfectly functioning system.

12. georgelegeriii

I have seen a few developers say 10.5 support is no longer being done, so I suspect 10.6 is a couple of years good to go.

Like it has been said: if your system works, keep it there, if you have to upgrade to use something, either buy a second or third computer to upgrade, and keep the one you have for work. I know one producer who has 2 full protools systems, on a G5 and Mac Pro 8 core, and is thinking of a 3d system for the newest Protools system (even though Avid looks like they might well become a dead issue way before Logic will ;-)).

13. georgelegeriii

I have a survey: who in the LUG goes to synthtopia on more than the most casual basis?

I say this because I suspect a very small number do, and that would skewer these 60% figures down quite a bit I suspect.

Maybe we should see who in the lug uses 10.7?

I do for one, as do most of my Logic clients...