Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Double midi notes

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by SBM, Sep 19, 2016.

1. SBM

SBM New Member

I am using a Korg taktile keyboard and a focusrite saffire pro 24 to interface to my macbook air (and logic). When I record midi tracks I get double notes - which only become evident when I edit the notes. The notes (including the double notes) are on the same channel. I have installed the driver and plug in suggested by Kork (for the taktile) - as far as I know, all the software, plug ins etc are up to date. I have tried the obvious things - re-installing the drivers, disconnecting and re-booting, deleting the taktile and re-starting, but to no effect. Does anyone know what might be going wrong? Thanks for your help.
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

How is the Korg connected to your computer, USB or MIDI, or both?
  4. SBM

SBM New Member

Thanks for getting back to me. The Korg is connected to the Saffire via both USB and midi. There is a firewire connection between the Safire and the computer.
  5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Do you need to connect to the Saffire with both USB and MIDI?
    It's not typical to require both connections.You're most likely sending MIDI information on both to Logic.

Unplug one or the other. Does the problem go away?

If the Korg is connected directly to your computer via USB, does the problem go away?
  6. SBM

SBM New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. The Korg is powered via the USB connector but I will try disconnecting the midi cables. Can't try that for a couple of days as I am traveling. Thanks again.
  7. SBM

SBM New Member

Hi. I disconnected the midi cables as you suggested and that seemed to cure the double note problem. However I have now found that the sustain pedal on the Taktile keyboard no longer works. Strangely, I closed Logic and opened Garageband. Everything worked fine - no double notes and sustain was fine. I suspect there is either something wrong with the plug-in from Korg (Tactile) or one of the settings on the Tactile or in Logic. I will keep investigating but your suggestion definitely put me on the right track. Thanks again.
  8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Can you post a screen shot of the MIDI window of your Mac OS X Audio MIDI Setup utility?

Mine is shown in the Audio MIDI Setup attachment.
    The Novation SL Mkll is hooked up via USB.

Attached to the MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface is a device labeled GI-20. Disregard the label for now, because for the moment, it's the SL Mkll hooked up via MIDI to the Fastlane.

The above represents the SL Mkll controller when hooked up with both USB and MIDI. In actual use, I only hook up with USB.

The second attachment shows Logic's Physical Input in the Environment, which is essentially Logic's representation of the Mac OSX Audio MIDI Setup MIDI window.

My controller appears as the SL Mkll (USB) and the GI-20 (MIDI). Because the controller is hooked up with both USB and MIDI, you'll see double notes on, and off.

Not knowing the particulars of your controller and it's software, and the Focusrite software, a possible and relatively easy solution to needing USB for power and MIDI for controller messages, is to create a new Transformer object from the New menu, and connect it to your MIDI connection however it appears on your system. It is then connected to the Input Notes Keyboard which connects to the Sequencer Input object

The Transformer is set up to filter out notes but let everything else such as controllers pass through.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. SBM

SBM New Member

Hi. Thanks. Attached is the screenshot. I am not sure how helpful it is. The Taktile is the Korg keyboard. The Pro 24 is the Safire interface.

At the moment, I have the Korg keyboard hooked up to my MacBook via the USB cable. The MacBook is then hooked up to the Safire interface. The midi cable are not in place. As I mentioned before, this works fine with Garageband - no double notes, the sustain pedal works and the other feature on the keyboard work (which allow me to control certain aspects of Garageband from the keyboard - stop, start, track volume, pan etc). When I close Garageband and open Logic, everything appears to work apart from sustain.

There is a specific plug-in for the keyboard which, I understand, sets up the keyboard to work with both Garageband and Logic on the mac. I downloaded this and installed it some time ago. I don't seem to have had this problem (with Logic) before - but I have now installed Logic on a MacBook when previously I was using a Mac desktop. That, I think, is the only difference. (I can't check the desktop set up at the moment as it is located elsewhere).

I appreciate your help with this.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 19.23.01.png
  10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Note: I made a change to the last step described above: Filter MIDI Notes. The Transformer is connected to the Input Notes keyboard.

Regarding your new information, my first recommendation is to see if there is a new version of the Korg software. If so, install it on your it on your MacBook, then check to see if the double MIDI notes issue is resolved.

Check the Logic File menu>Project Settings>MIDI>Input Filter to make sure Control Changes is not checked.

If for some reason you're still getting double MIDI notes, then the Environment solution should still work.

Based on you screen shot, tactile-49 is the direct connection to the computer via USB.

Connect your Korg to the Pro24 interface with MIDI cables.
    In the Audio MIDI Setup, click on Add Device, and name it Korg MIDI or whatever you like, but something to differentiate from tactile-49. Connect this device to the Pro24. It should look like the GI-20 connected to the Fastlane in my first screen shot.
    In the Environment, create the Transformer and hook it up to Korg MIDI (as in my third screen shot), and set it up as shown.
  11. SBM

SBM New Member

Thanks. I will have to leave it for a few days as I am travelling but I'll try your suggestions at the werkend. One of them should work. Thanks again - I now know my way around this part of Logic a lot better!