1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download logic X update

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by thesound, Jan 26, 2015.

1. thesound

thesound New Member

How to download Logic X 10.1 update ? I couldn't find it. Please help me.
    Thanks in advance.

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

The Logic 10.1 is available in the Mac App store, you will need to sign in, then go to purchases, you should then see it as an update there.

kind regards

Mark

4. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

I had to update to OSX 10.9.5 for Logic 10.1 to be available in the App Store.

:D:cool:

5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

This is the future of Software updates eh?

6. charlie

charlie Senior member

Sure is... Plus Apple announced to plug-in makers it would be sand-boxing ALL 3rd party plug-ins for Logic in the future so everything you'd ever want to buy would be through the App store portal... -which makes me kinda nauseous... :confused:

7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

You have to assume the OS requirements are going to change. Otherwise there will be limits to what can introduced in application updates.

And does sandboxing require distribution through the portal? I thought it was just a design standard?

8. charlie

charlie Senior member

I read on a forum somewhere in 2014 for plug-in makers that everyone had to re-write code in order to be included in future incarnations of a Logic related App Store. I do not know if this has changed but a bunch of programmers were complaining loudly how they were being given a window of time to make their software conform to this sandbox selling standard or Apple would not allow them to be used with their products.
    -again, this was close to a year ago I read this so take it with how ever many grains of salt...
    Who knows?

9. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Can that be confirmed Charlie? Was the announcement public?

kind regards

Mark

10. Tux

Tux Member

I've just updated to Yosemite 10.10.2 and Logic 10.1.0 and both reported successful upgrades. But now logic does not recognize my audio interface (Fireface 800) Also the Fireface mixer and FF settings will not boot. Any experiences or suggestions?
    I will also send this to the Mac OS forum.
    Thanks-Tux// Mac Pro (Early 2008) 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

11. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I've seen a lot of reports of RME units not working with recent OS X updates. Best to make sure they have updated or tested the RME drivers before updating.

12. mmm42

mmm42 Senior member

That is not the case. Sandboxed means "safer against malicious software", not "only available in the AppStore". You can sandbox your application and sell it outside of the app store just fine.

13. charlie

charlie Senior member

Hey Mark- I probably shouldn't have used the words "Apple announced..." as I honestly do not know if this was public or not. I don't think I dreamed it either, but you never know... :rolleyes:
    It was one of those times when I was researching a topic on Gearsluts but then got sidetracked reading some other threads started by plug-in programmers.
    While I found it interesting at the time, I sorta forgot about it til I saw the thread here mentioning all updates now being revealed only via the App store...

The Gearsluts thread I fell into was mostly plug-in programmers being very vocal, complaining because of some "programmers announcement" from Apple claiming that audio plug-ins and the like were to be "sandboxed" at some point... At the time I did not know what the term meant so I followed this rabbit-hole to learn more. As I read on, I found more than a few plug-in makers complaining that at some point, all sales were to be ported via the Apple App store for their audio plug-ins and how some were weighing the benefit vs aggravation of porting their products to work within the Apple App Store... (I am not even sure I get what code would need to change for their plugs to sell within the App Store, but then again, I'm not a programmer...)

Forgive me if I am getting any of this wrong or if this change was simply abandoned by Apple over the last year (when I read the thread.)
    And I certainly don't mean to start any worry over a something I read in 2014.
    I am not sure what benefit sandboxing any & all apps available for Logic, Garageband & Mainstage would actually do for Apple but as I said, I'm not a programmer.
    :hippy:

14. charlie

charlie Senior member

You may be correct, but what I read on the forum was specifically about Apple making all audio related sales be through their App store.
    -Again, not looking to argue as this might be a moot point if Apple changed their minds since the thread was active.
    My apologies if the info is not correct.

-But I will say that if that did happen, it would not be that surprising given the ever-inclusive direction of the company in terms of hardware, lack of upgradeability after purchase, and Job's "Walled Garden" sermon years back...

:hippy:

15. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

mmm42 is right. Sandboxing is about stopping apps from accessing each other. IIRC the rule is you won't be able to sell your app through the app store if it is not sandboxed.

Apple had long suffered from the perception that nothing useful runs on a Mac, and now that perception is waning, how likely is it they'd do a 180 and limit the range of available software? Even if they wanted to do it, I think it's a bit far fetched to think Apple will manage to get all sales for AUs through the App Store. They'd also have to have all the DAWs sold through the App store too if this makes any sense at all (which it doesn't)

Think of all the companies that make high end instruments and effects. Apple might have enough sway in some markets to pull off a bone headed stunt like that, but in pro audio, all we'll be hearing from third party suppliers is crickets in the night.