Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drum Controller For Logic

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by chimpchamper, Feb 5, 2014.

1. chimpchamper

chimpchamper New Member

Hey guys!

I'm looking for a drum pad, or similar to play percussion parts in to my logic sessions... can be totally simple - just one pad, but has a good feel to play with sticks.

It's basically for layering toms / timpani parts etc into orchestral pieces (and triggering sounds in Logic, no need for onboard sounds)...

Ideally USB... I've done some research and so far not much joy!

Does anyone have anything along these lines they could recommend?

The Yamaha DTX line (XP120T - Drum Pads - Electronic Drum Accessories - Drums - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States) look perfect, and if there was a way to grab just one f these and set it up simply as a midi controller then that would be ideal....

Any thoughts welcome!
    Thanks guys!

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

The Yamaha pad you mention is a trigger pad, it does not generate MIDI data. For e-drums one or more trigger pads are connected to a drum module (or trigger module) that converts the analog trigger signals to MIDI and may also generate sounds on its own. From there the MIDI data go to your computer over a MIDI cable or USB.

If you really want this Yamaha pad, consider to buy a Yamaha drum module for it, because this is a 3-zone pad and may not be compatible with other modules than Yamaha’s. But do you really need a 3-zone pad? If yes, do you know how the pad detects and delivers the different zones and if your sound library can handle them?

However, you have a couple of possibilities:

A trigger pad and software like DSP Trigger

• Pro: The cheapest solution, you plug the pad into an audio input of your interface and the software does the rest. Trial software available.
    • Con: In Logic you have to route the MIDI data of the software to a virtual or real MIDI port and collect the data again at the MIDI input. Remarkable latency.

A trigger pad and a pure trigger module like the Alesis Trigger|iO

• Pro: Fast and rather cheap, output via MIDI or USB.
    • Con: Makes no sound, you got to hear the sound of your samples with remarkable latency dependig on the software and Logic.

A trigger pad and a drum module from the same manufacturer

• Pro: You know that it will work well as long as you choose the right combination. These modules produce sounds, you can mix them with your playback for latency-free recording.
    • Con: Expensive.

Or, buy a standard e-drum kit, could be a used one.

• Maybe cheaper than single components, you choose what you need and try to sell the parts you don't need.
  4. chimpchamper

chimpchamper New Member

Awesome -

Thanks very much for your thoughts Peter, really appreciate the comprehensive reply!

I've ended up going with one of these:
    Mandala Drum!

Look amazing, and I think will actually be great for being creative with more than just drum sounds, but a new way of writing too. Great reviews also.

Thanks again for your help!
  5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Great choice.
    Have fun with the Mandala!