1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drum Kit Designer Can't find samples

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by paulnajar, Jul 24, 2013.

1. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

Hi Guys,

Got the App downloaded but the additional content download has been a nightmare. Sadly I do have a slow connection - about 300KB/s download.

My main issue is that I have not gotten any sound out of the Drum Kit Designer other than a sine wave - just like what the EXS 24 sounds like before an instrument is loaded, even though I have downloaded all data (some several times).

I can see the samples at file path ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/ EXS Factory Samples/Drum Kit Designer Consolidated/.

I can see the Presets at ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/Drum Kit Designer/

It seems like the presets are disconnected from the sample data.

It's worth noting that in ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/03 Drums & Percussion/04 Drum Kit Designer/ there are EXS instruments for all of the kits which load into EXS fine BUT these instruments do not show up in the EXS menu.

Any help to sort this would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Paul Najar
  3. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

I had better luck doing selective downloads, vs letting all the files cue up.

Sometimes the connection would time out, and affect the later downloads.

I have a cable connection, and it took me several attempts.

If you have a slow connection try downloading one package at a time.

4. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

I can sympathise. The extra 20GB took me 5 days!

Those are the correct file paths.

Perhaps because of the long time taken to download, Logic X hasn't refreshed.

Open the Library and click on the cog bottom left and select Refresh Library.

Also, make sure that in the Track inspector, the new little blue arrow is next to EXS24 or Drum Designer so that the Library focuses on that.

Hope this helps....
  5. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions gdoubleyou and Colin.

As I started to type this reply the message was going be fail! But as I typed, it finally came to me.

In the past days I went looking all over my hard drive for the file that might link the DKD presets with the samples without success. In my travels I discovered that Logic X had created a folder in my system drive music folder called Audio Music Apps. In there I noticed that all my sampler instruments had been duplicated. Once I removed them from that location the DKD magically found all data.

Hopefully my experience will save someone else some hair pulling.

Kind regards
  6. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

FYI I also discovered that the new Audio Music Apps folder in the Music Folder is a symbolic Link to the user level Logic folder inside User/ Library/ Application Support/ Logic.
  7. FredBloggs

FredBloggs New Member

Are you sure about that :confused:

It's definitely not a symbolic link on my ML system and there is no "Audio Music Apps" folder in my User/ Library/ Application Support/ Logic folder either.:errr:
  8. Colin Shapiro

The new folder is here:
    Yourdrive/Users/yourname/Music/Audio Music Apps

It links to folder Paul mentioned above, which is the old Logic AppSupport folder, which is retained if you had Logic 9 before.
  9. FredBloggs

FredBloggs New Member

OK… so what you're saying is that the "Audio Music Apps" that is installed in "/Volumes/MacHD/Users/Me/Music" and that has 26 odd GO of stuff in it, shouldn't actually be there, is that right :confused:
    The fact is that I didn't put it there, and that I still run Logic 9 on the same drive, for 32bit plugin compatibility on old projects.
    I have a similar folder in my Application Support, so I could gain 26GO of disk space by binning Audio Music Apps, creating a symbolic link of AppSupport/Logic and re-naming it "Audio Music Apps", right ?
    Thanks for the info :thmbup:
  10. Colin Shapiro

Sorry Fred, I can't answer that question. Someone with more technical know-how will have to assist here....
  11. FredBloggs

FredBloggs New Member

Thanks for your answer. I think I'll just try it and see what happens ;)