1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Drum Notation

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by dougjammer, Jul 2, 2015.

1. dougjammer

dougjammer New Member

I want to add a wood block to a drum kit but cannot see a simple way to do it. I was able to open both a drum kit and a percussion kit and use a channel splitter for my midi drum parts, sending the Base channel to the drum kit and Channel 2 to the percussion kit. This was cumbersome. Is there a better way?
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

The title of your thread reads "Drum Notation"
    Are you working with notation in the score editor?

Which drum kits are you using?

There are many options to achieve what you're asking, but more information is needed.
    Producing drum notation using a combination of sound sources?
    Producing just sound: drums and percussion on one track? Summing stack?
    Logic kits? Which ones? Third party drum instruments?
  4. dougjammer

dougjammer New Member

Hello CSeye, Thanks for your response. I am using the Bluebird or SoCal kit, but the style is not important. I am using a midi drum track I wrote years ago that I need to record and print in notation for a drummer/percussionist as a performing reference. This is for a performance of an opera. I am only using software instruments - though I wrote this originally using an Alesis module. I found a woodblock sound when I went to: Legacy/Logic/Orchestral/Percussion Kit. I wondered if there was a way to add an instrument (a wood block) to a built-in kit?
  5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Study the project file here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvhstbj7rlihgms/Drums and Percussion.logicx.zip?dl=1

Copy your MIDI track file (standard MIDI file) to a track below the existing tracks in the project file to avoid overwriting the tracks in place

For demonstration purposes, this project has the closed high hat assigned to cable 2 which is connected to the Percussion Kit. Sounds terrible doesn't it. But you do see meter activity in the Percussion Kit mixer track.

Reassigned the Closed HH cable to 1. Locate the Output Note for your preferred wood block sound. Assign it to Cable 2.

You will have one track in the Main window with your MIDI file than be viewed as notation.
    You'll have two Mixer tracks with your preferred sound sources.

Classic Logic in action.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  6. dougjammer

dougjammer New Member

Hello again CSeye, Thanks for your solution. I ended up doing something similar. I created a new mapped instrument in the environment and linked cable 2 to the Percussion Kit and cable 1 to the Drum Kit. I copied my midi file to a new track assigned to this new mapped instrument and finally could be edited and heard. I mapped the default woodblock GM mapping to a different wood block sound in the percussion kit via cable 2... and it worked.

Next i had a new problem. I had trouble seeing the tambourine in notation, although I could hear it via the drum kit. The drum clef according to the staff editor was supposed to be showing the tambourine group, but didn't. Maybe there were too many groups in the upper section of the staff? Anyways, the workaround I used here was to assign the tambourine to the hihat group. Now all is functioning, but it wasn't easy. I guess you call that Classic Logic in action!
    Thanks again!
  7. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Good to hear that things are working as you need them to.

Mapped Instruments appear to be overwhelming at first, but, once familiar, provide a great deal of flexibility.

Consider saving your project file as a template with explanatory notes to make set up easier the next time.
    Pete Thomas likes this.