Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Drum track after the fact

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by jabo, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jabo

jabo Member

Hey Guys/Gals -
    I'm trying to bring in a drum loop after the fact, in other words after I've recorded an audio track to another tempo. I'm trying to match the drums as closely as possible to the recorded track, but when I change the tempo in Logic, it changes the tempo of the recorded track as well. Is there any way I can change the tempo of loop without effecting the tempo of the already recorded audio track? I've messed with some Tempo settings but will admit, it's beyond my understanding at this point...Help!
    Thanks so much.
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Why not just turn the drum loop into an apple loop? Then it will follow the tempo of whatever song you place it in?

Select it in your arrange window and go under the Audio menu and choose "Open in Apple Loops Utility" to convert it.
  4. jabo

jabo Member

Hey Eli -
    Thanks for getting back. I'm using an Apple Loop. That's the problem I think. It's matching the tempo of the project, which is great but the project tempo which I didn't need doesn't match the tempo of the previously recorded audio track. I guess the big question is, how do I change the tempo of the loop without changing the tempo of the original audio track.
    Any help on this would be great. Thanks.
  5. Eli

Eli Senior member

How would you even know what to change the tempo of the loop to?? I think there's a better way to approach the problem.

I think you'd be better served by beat mapping the audio in question so that you create a tempo map in Logic that follows the audio file. That way not only will the Apple Loop follow it properly, but you can then continue to work with the bars and beats lined up and in sync with the music, in case you want to add, record, or edit any additional parts.

Check out Beat Mapping function in the Global Tracks and in the manual. It'll take you a few minutes to do; but then will give you the freedom to work creatively and accurately from that point on, rather than being painted into a corner by a mismatched timeline.
  6. jabo

jabo Member

Excellent! I'll look into it. Thanks man.