1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Ducking with 0ms release

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by dwdavedw, Sep 10, 2015.

1. dwdavedw

dwdavedw New Member

Here's what I'm doing - have long audio track of changing channels on a tv. Am attempting to have white noise pop up between channels. I have an audio track of white noise, with compressor side-chained to the tv track (actually 2 compressors as 1 did not completely remove the static) Problem is can't set a release quicker than 5 ms on the compressor. Is there a way to do this somehow? Compressor has 0ms attack, but 5ms is fasted release. Need it to be instantaneous.

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

5ms is pretty quick - is it just because you want it to sound more like a hard cut than a fade? I would print the white noise track with the sidechained effect, then gate or strip silence on the resulting track.

4. Eli

Eli Senior member

Don't know if you own any Waves plug-ins, but I was just playing with the Kramer Pie compressor, and it has an extremely fast release. I didn't measure it in ms, but it certainly seemed like it was among the quickest release characteristics I can recall hearing in a compressor.

5. dwdavedw

dwdavedw New Member

I had Waves, but I think my version is too old to authorize on this machine. Looking for a Logic Plug in solution. I tried the strip silence, but it doesn't give me the instantaneous release to get the effect right. There's gotta be a way...

6. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Exactly what are you simulating? When I had old tube TVs, the white noise (more like brown noise actually) took a lot more than 5 msecs to ramp up when channels were changed. Newer TVs had noise suppression and didn't give out any white noise on off air channels. Spinning the tuner on an old FM radio gives an idea.

7. dwdavedw

dwdavedw New Member

It's not supposed to be true to life - its for a montage effect - need the static to cut off the tv audio material so it give stuccato effect.

8. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Stillwell Rocket goes to 1 msec.

9. dwdavedw

dwdavedw New Member

Looking for Logic Solution. There has to be one.

10. Eli

Eli Senior member

What about the suggestion of using Logic's noise gate? That should do it.

11. dwdavedw

dwdavedw New Member

I tried that first, didn't work - I would need a reverse noise gate. Even setting it at the +20db setting, didn't do it.

12. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

If you Bounce-to-Disk the sidechained static track, you should wind up with a quiet track with loud bits where you want them. Strip Silence on that, then Select All the resulting regions and use the numerical length parameter in the Event Float to drag the endpoint of all the regions shorter until it cuts off how you want them.

13. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

It seems that we talk about full mutes with no crossfade at all. If this is true, scissors are the natural solution. One track with the signal, one with noise and then cut&paste or cut&mute, whatever fits better to the workflow and artistic requirements.

14. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Peter, does Logic apply a small fade or cross fade or move cuts to a zero crossing when audio is cut?

15. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

It's all selectable/adjustable. In this case you may want zero crossing edits and no crossfade.