1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Dysfunctional Library Search?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by mk3, May 5, 2012.

1. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Hello -

Am I missing a secret (or obvious) method, or is the search function within the Library of Logic indeed rather dysfunctional? It seems to only search for an exact string match, as opposed to the typical Spotlight searches in the Finder. Shouldn't it work just like a Spotlight search?

For example, searching for "Violins Legato" will return patches only with the exact phrase "Violins Legato", but not "Legato Violins" or "Legato Fast Violins", etc. One would like the search to find all items with both those words present, that is, every variation (unless one specifies an exact-string search with the use of quotes). This is quite problematic as one typically doesn't know the exact ordering of the words before searching!

Any suggestions on ways around this?

(Oddly, the Browser pane allows one to at least construct a multiple term Boolean search, but the Library and Loops do not)

Thank you for any guidance.

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

The browsers are different than what you'd wish for. Less is more in these browsers. So for "violins legato", typing in "legato" seems to get the most useful results (violins are at the bottom, easy to navigate through).You could then re-enter a search to show more specifically what you find.

Typing in "violin" gets more results than "violins". The plural omits the singular in the search.

You may know all this already, but thought I'd toss it at you.

4. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Dear Doug -
    Thank you for the response. Yes, those are the approaches I currently use. However, as my library grows, this is becoming unwieldy. Typing just "violin", for example, now gives me a very long list, within which the legato versions are intermixed rather randomly, so it is no longer an efficient feature for me. It's beginning to make more sense to just search in the Finder, since the search function is superior in the ways discussed here, and then drag the resulting instruments into Logic, but this of course defeats the elegant integration of a browser and library within Logic itself.

5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Agreed....which is apparently only elegant under certain conditions. I be curious as to why these searches function in this way - anyone know why they are restricted?