1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 eastwest PLAY and logic 8

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by Darrell, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Darrell

Darrell New Member

hi. i've been fighting with E/W PLAY and Logic 8 all morning. I've tried the setup that EW delineates in the manualm which seems very complex. Any other ideas?

3. leytonnz

leytonnz Senior member

can you outline the fight? are you trying for multi-timbral instances? or?
  4. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

I use Play all the time. What exactly is the issue?
    George Leger III
  5. Hi All,
    On a similar wavelength ;~) (Apologies if this seems like a thread Hijack!, but it may answer problems for Darrell too).
    So.... may I interject with a similar query re E/W Play. I've just upgraded to an 8 core mac pro (os 10.5.7 - 12gb ram) with logic 8.02 & Protools 8.0.0cs2 with HD3A. I'm not using esb anymore (thank the gods!) Instead DAE+Core audio with an RME on ADAT link back to the 192's.
    When I use a stereo multi timbral instance of Play using SD2, with up to 16 parts. It seems the Play engine is only accessing 1 processor (is this all it can do from within logic?) and consequently on some more 'juicy' patch sets is maxing out that 1 processor, causing some overload clicks. I know I can freeze it, but are there any workarounds / settings I'm missing?
    Many thanks for any input.

6. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

You do not want to use multi-timbral instances of Play very much because as you found out, it all goes to 1 core. So EW recommends that you open separate stereo instances to spread throughout the cores. This also makes mixing them a lot easier when you automate MIDI CCs as you do not have to use auxes to keep the AU itself from going cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.
  7. Hi Jay,
    Thanx for the info. As I suspected, and quite right about the automation / mixing. I hadn't got that far yet, still sorting the new setup/testing things out. I've had SD2 for a while now, but didn't even bother with it on the G5, due to it's raging hunger for power:lsaber:

8. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Darrell, do you have a version of Kontakt that you could use instead? Another member might correct me on this, but I believe that Kontakt and PLAY offer similar functionality?