1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy things to do to speed up Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by daveyboy, Aug 4, 2012.

1. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

I was just reminded about the free app "Monolingual". It gets rid of foreign languages that get automatically installed on your Mac. I think I reclaimed around 10gbs of hard drive space yesterday after deleting everything except American and Spanish. Working today I swear my 4 year old beast is a little faster! As always, make sure you have a working clone just incase.

Besides the obvious things like running onyx and tech tool pro, what other easy under the good things are people doing to improve performance?

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

A couple of things to keep in mind:
    Avoid Monolingual if you also use the Adobe Creative Suite as it will not function without all of those foreign languages. But if that's not a concern, then Monolingual does indeed free up a significant amount of space. I think it's recommended to keep all English options (American, Canadian, British or whatever). Also be careful about which keyboard layouts are removed.

Avoid Mac Keeper like the plaque!!! A Google search will yield many problems with it removing authorization in the process of cleaning your mac for the purpose of speeding it up.
    http://mackeeper.zeobit.com

At this point, my strategy consists of:
    1. Running Cocktail on a regular basis. (Audio components is unchecked in Step 2 Options to avoid messing AU scanning) http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/
    2. Off-loading large files to ext drives. Word is that drives should always have, at the very least, 10 to 15% free storage capacity in order to function. More free space will allow the drive to function more quickly. I don't like to fill my system/app drive more than 60% for those times when I may need large, temporary storage.
    3. Separate drives for Logic projects and for sample libraries.