1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Elements of Aggregate Device not in sync

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Vincent Kenis, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Vincent Kenis

Vincent Kenis New Member

Hi

After having used Logic with a PowerBook and RME Multiface/CardBus for some years, I switched to a MacBook Pro. Since it didnt have a PCMCIA slot I couldn't use the Multiface anymore so I bought a FireFace 400, which had the advantage to work on the laptop's power. I kept the PowerBook for when I needed to record more than 16 tracks at once, in that case I created an "aggregate device" with Audio MIDI Setup which allowed me to use both FF and MF at the same time. This worked flawlessly until the PB died. Recently I bought a HDSPe ExpressCard to use the Multiface again, this time with the MBP. I created a new aggregate device, connected the FF and the MF with a wordclock cable and thought I was done. But I ran into 2 problems:

First, when I boot Logic, before I can hear anything I have to reset the audio (by changing the I/O buffer size in the audio prefs). This happens every time.

Second, between tracks recorded by the FF400 and by the Multiface there is a DELAY of approximately 80 ms. Not always: the problem happened on one take of my first multitrack session, then disappeared for a while without any intervention of my part, then came back on all the takes of the last session. The delay seems consistent throughout all the takes.

So two questions:

How can I persuade my system to behave normally without having to reset the audio driver each time ?

More importantly - since the phase coherence of my session depends on it - would it be possible to realign the Multiface tracks in a more precise way than "by ear" ?

I don't rememember encountering those problems when using the PowerBook and an aggregate device, be it with FF400 + MF like mentioned before, or with FF400 + a Mackie 1620 ONYX's firewire I/O card (which was NOT locked to the FF400 since it has no wordclock connector)

All drivers are current.

Thanks for any help or suggestion !