Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Environment: Cascading Faders to create one SysEx Message

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by JayB, Nov 17, 2013.

1. JayB

JayB New Member

Hi!

I want a layer in my environment to change several system settings of a hardware synth. Unfortunately these are all packed into one SysEx command. Is there a way to say

Fader 1 controls byte 5
    Fader 2 controls byte 6
    Fader 3 controls byte 11

and so on and send it either on moving the fader or pressing a button?

Thanks for answers!

- JayB

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure? Often such combined messages can also be sent individually

4. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

What Peter says is valid if your hardware synth supports that (see below).

Here is the direct answer related to your question:
    1. You have to create three faders sending say CC7, CC8, CC9 etc (each CC number is equivalent of the target sys byte number => CC7/Byte 7, CC8/Byte8 etc for example). I'm away of my Logic - I'm sorry...
    2. Create one Transformer set to Mode "Sysex Mapper", set the "Sysex Length" transformer operation parameter to match your sys message length and patch a cable from the Fader to the Transformer.
    3. Type/Edit the Sys Message bytes into the transformer.
    4. Cable the transformer to a Standard Instrument object which midi port is set to the hardware synth.

Each Fader will control a given byte in the Sysex message. Hope this will help.
    Regards,
    A.G

Hi Peter,
    This method does not work with a few hardware synths which use special algorithms. For example, some hardware vintage synths like Juno 106 use one(same) Sys message for a few parameters (groups) based on a Math combination of that message. In this scenario you have to develop some absolutely "Smart" Environment setup which follows that Math algorithm. Individual messages do not work in such scenarios.

5. JayB

JayB New Member

It worked, thank you! :D