1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Esoteric event list question

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by LogicChallenged, Mar 15, 2016.

1. LogicChallenged

LogicChallenged New Member

I make backing tracks, and pretty much have the process down.
    I set up, in the event list, my various tracks with midi #'s, ie, bass is #1, piano #2, vibes #3 , etc, drums are always 10
    Problem is when go to re-enter, or edit notes, they always record as midi channel 1, , even if I change the midi channel # in the inspector to the proper #. So, then I have to go to event list and find the new notes, and manually change them to proper midi channel. Works, but frustrating.
    Is there any way to record on a given track, and/or enter notes in the piano roll, with the midi channel set to a # other than #1 ?

Now here's even a more esoteric question.
    When I have a list of notes. control, program changes, etc in the event list, and most are, say midi channel 4, and some are 1 or , other (sometimes stray controls slip in with weird #'s) then I'd like to make the whole midi # list go to #1, then be able to make the whole thing the proper # by hitting " select all", then scrolling the midi column all at once, But this doesn't work unless they're all the same # to begin with. Make sense?

Thx for any help if you can follow above.
  3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

The Logic Sequencer records the external MIDI events on their original MIDI channel. It does not matter which track is selected and if the Track Channel setting is 2, 3, 4 etc. The Track Channel setting is "POST" and it transforms the Event MIDI Channel on the fly, cause it is non-destructive setting.

To record with the midi channel set to a # other than #1 you can use two methods:
    1. Switch the External Keyboard Global MIDI Channel before recording.
    2. Patch a Transformer object between the Physical Input and the Sequencer in the Click&Ports Environmant layer. Open the transformer and set its "Operation" Channel to say 8 if you want to record MIDI data on Ch.8.

MIDI Channel Batch Post- Editing

The best way for such operation is to use the MIDI Transform window.
    If you want to change the MIDI Channel of all MIDI events (Notes, Controllers, Program Change etc) of given MIDI regions do the following:

1. Select the track in question (it will select all MIDI regions automatically), or select the regions you want manually.
    2. Open the MIDI Transform window, create a new set and assign the "Operation" Channel to the target channel you want (13 in my example). See the image below.
    3. Press, "Select & Operate" - DONE!

If you want to transform the MIDI Channel of a specific MIDI event (only Note events for example) then apply a "Status" condition = Note as shown below: