Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Export project as AAF

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Ab van Goor, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Ab van Goor

Ab van Goor New Member

When I export a project as AAF, the audio is not embedded but in a separately created
    audio files folder. When I try to import the file (in this case into MB3) mixbus doesn't find
    the audio because it's not embedded in the AAF file, and so won't open the session.
    Does anyone know what's going on here? Is the AAF format just for Apple applications?
    Or is there a way (like in PT) to embed the audio in the AAF file?
    Thanks for your help.

Logic X 10.2 - OSX 10.5
  3. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

AAF is a file format that contains the audio data of a bounce you performed in Logic Pro, if set accordingly.
    Logic saves his project as self contained compressed format (called package), which encompass different folders/subfolders (Bounces being one of them, among other ones). To access same, control-click on the Logic project file and click on Show Package Contents. You should find the AAF file you are looking for in the Bounce subfolder
    Saving your project as Folders instead of Package would save you from that extra step.
  4. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

That's not quite the problem Ab is having. I tried saving an AAF myself out of curiosity, and sure enough, Logic saves it as a two-piece export, an AAF file to control the placement of the audio files, and a folder full of those audio files. There is no option in the Export AAF dialogue to "include audio", in other words, save it as a self-contained file, which is what most post-production professionals would expect to receive.
  5. Ab van Goor

Ab van Goor New Member

Thanks, Sonny Keyes. This is exactly the problem I'm having. The way Logic currently exports AAF files
    is useless for working with other audio applications except for some apple app like soundtrack pro which is
    not supported anymore. I'm more and more using Mixbus and one of the conditions to import AAF files is
    that the audio is "embedded". If I remember well it's the same for PT.
  6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

DP9 saves the AAF file inside the audio files folder.
    Logic save the file outside of the audio files folder.
    As an observation, neither are embedded files.

I seem to remember a time when the embedded file was the expected end result.
    Not sure when this changed or why.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016