1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Exporting midi files out of Logic X procedure

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Bolder, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Bolder

Bolder New Member

Hello,

I am creating 2 bar midi files In Logic X. I have about 15 of these 2 measure MIDI sequences all on one track but they are separated into different regions. Each region has an independent name and after creating them in logic I would like to save them or export them all as individual standard MIDI files for use in other DAWs with the resultant midi file being the same as the regions name.

At the moment I have only been able to export one reason at a time which is quite tedious. Also each time I try to export the MIDI file-the default name is the name of the Logic project and it does not reflect the region's name.

There must be a more streamlined way to get this accomplished. Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help.
    Dennis

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Hello Dennis,

Select a region.
    ⌥⌘E is the key command for File>Export>Selection as MIDI. This brings up the Save MIDI File as: where you can enter a custom name.

You'll have to do this for each selected region but you should end up with MIDI files with the custom names you entered.
    I just did this and opened in them in different DAW as expected.

4. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

I am not aware of a way to do this. Might help if you tell us the final objective to determine if your approach is the best process?
    Also keep in mind that exporting a region will also save the current bar position so when you import your midi file into another application it will start at the bar position the region is currently set to in Logic. This may or may not be your intention - just keep that in mind. If you need it on bar position 1, then you will have to put each region on a separate track, so all are starting on bar 1.

5. Bolder

Bolder New Member

I wish to create short loops for my Bluegrass Banjo sample library which I've a couple of years ago. But MANY of them (midi loops). The approach I have described in my post and that CSeye has mentioned is really not at all streamlined. Logic has always been very sophisticated in its midi features. I really surprised there are not more options (maybe I've yet to discover them).

The idea is for users simply to drag and drop these midi files into whatever measure they wish to use them in their compositions. A friend showed me a way for Studio One to do this quite easily. But first I would have to export out of logic a mutli-track midi file into Studio One. If I were to do that - I need to find a simple command in Logic to rename each track to reflect the region name of the 2 bar midi loop (this will make the name of the midi loop correct in Studio One). Is there a simple way to do this with a command rather than retyping each tracks name?

I know I'm sort of changing the subject/question here - but I'm just looking for a good workflow to create midi files for my users in the DAW of their choice. I'm surprised this is not really straight forward.

Thanks!
    Dennis