1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Exporting to SMF...not so easy...why?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by LogicChallenged, Feb 5, 2016.

1. LogicChallenged

LogicChallenged New Member

Trying to make backing tracks. 2 or 3 track "tunes" , bass, drums, rhythm something.
    When I go to "export" it only allows "Selection as Midi file", ie it combines all the tracks into one region/midi file,
    sort of a Format 0. And it puts all tracks as midi channel 1, even having been given a midi # on Logic.
    I've been transferring the resulting file to another DAW (Roland Fantom) that gives me an opportunity to extract the parts, change midi #'s (ie, make the drums 10), also assign a program change #, (ie #33..acoustic bass . channel 1) , then the file is usable on one of my song playing keyboards (Roland FP-7F) , using a thumb drive.
    Tho....cumbersome! Can all this be done just on Logic X ?
    Question: how to export from Logic as a Format 1 midi file with individual tracks, with correct midi #'s, and program change #'s to general midi patches? Possible?
    Thx for any answer

3. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Yes of course....
    First make sure this is not checked.... Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.07.53 AM.png

Next - and I am doing this from memory right now... Each midi channel export will be based on the channelized setting in the track header. So make sure each track is assigned its own midi channel and it is not set to "all". PC changes can be added a number of ways - first you could manually add them in the event list - or in the track inspector click the program button. Now as you cycle through different PC - you will hear that...This parameter is only for local playback PC from the inspector is not embedded in region to be exported. In order to do that....select the PC you want...... see pic below Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.16.40 AM.png

Once you have that established you need to embed it in the region. This can be done automatically by selection function and selecting inserting instrument midi setting as event....
    Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.16.58 AM.png
    Once that is done you will in the region ( by viewing the event list - the program change is there). Now when you export your regions each will have specified PC's or instruments to play when loaded by another device/program.
    Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.17.08 AM.png

Ask more questions if needed...(off to work)

4. LogicChallenged

volovicg.
    Hey thanks. I'm following your instructions. Almost there with my project.
    Tho: Cannot find the program button in the track inspector....like your second arrow. Do I add this option somehow?
    Then, when I add a program change in the event list, the patch # is controlled by scrolling down on volume column (well..ok,, it works) but there's a Num column which controls note numbers.....but can I assume that means nothing for a program change insertion?

Another question: , even tho I have clicked midi channel 10 for my second track (drums) and clicked the "Insert instrument settings...etc", the event list is still showing midi channel 1. Cannot change. why is this.?

Thanks for your help.
    Bud

5. LogicChallenged

Replying to myself, as well as volovicg.
    Got the process now. Thanks to you and some hunting and pecking.
    Never found the program change button on the track inspector, but figured out how to insert a PC in the events list.
    Re: midi channels. I found that changing the midi # in the track inspector does not seem to do anything. But, once I figured out how to change the midi # in the events list, (select all, then click on midi # column and scroll up/down ) then it all starts to work.
    Discovered that except for channel 10 for drums, it really does not matter what channel the other tracks, ie bass or rhy something, are on, because the PC patch change is more important.
    Then export as midi selection, save to thumb drive, put it in keyboard that plays, hit play, stumble along and convince myself I'm hot.
    Anyway....making music, which is what it's all about.
    thx
    Bud

6. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

1/ Program change Parameter in the inspector only exists for external midi tracks (actually instrument objects in the env)
    2/ Correct -the channel is for the channel and the VAL columns if for the patch ( with a potential offset of 1 depending on the equipment you are using). Ignore the middle column for now it just send out a CC00/CC32 which can be used for some devices in selecting other information and used in conduction with the PC. You can ignore it for now.
    3/ Because you have not assigned channels to the tracks, you are either using software instruments or midi a channel of ALL. If you are putting multiple PC on one track then you have to manually change the channel if it is different than the track channel. Otherwise, setting each track to its own midi channel will address that.