1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EXS 24 Sustain Pedal issues

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by erickhailstone@hotmail.co, Jun 22, 2014.

1. In EXS I have patches where the sustain pedal works as expected, and the I have some, "Classical Acoustic Guitar" where it does not work at all. For the life of me I can't find a parameter that will change the patch so that the sustain pedal will work as expected.

Any thoughts? Any Help?

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

There was a similar question in a NI Kontakt (KSP) forum some time ago.
    As far as I remember a guy reported that some Kontakt (third party) libraries do not support Sustain Pedal properly. I developed an extra KSP script which emulates Sustain Pedal. This Script was based on simple Note ON/OFF messages controlled via any (assignable) CC# so it works 100%. I guess I can develop some similar (Pre-Sequencer) Environment Tool or MIDI FX (Scripter) if I have time...
  4. Thanks for the quick reply. I'd appreciate any help. I'm using Logic X. The latest version. The sounds are all factory sounds, particularly EXS-24 sounds. I'm creating track stacks and that may have something to do with it. I'd like to have layered sounds where the sustain pedal works on some patches and not on others.

Thanks again.
  5. I Think I just solved my issue. I've been creating "Track Stacks" with lots of splits and layers. I have arpeggios for each instrument. I have them enabled" in the channel strip with the "Run/Stop" parameter in the stop position. If I Disable the arpeggio, the sustain function works fine.

thanks again. I've visited your web site many times. I appreciate what you do. If you tried your hand at creating scripts in Logic X'x new Midi Scripter plugin? I'd like to find away to take a short sequenced phrase ( 1 or 2 bars) and have it converted into a CC message that could modulate instrument parameters; (EG. a rhythmic phrase modulating a Filter) I know I can do this with side chains but I think doing this from the Scripter could be real quick once the Script was created.

thanks again

6. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Hi Erick,
    You can use the factory LPX Modulator (LFO) MIDI FX plugin which generates custom CC#.
    In this scenario you can modulate a Filter or any Parameter which can be controlled via CC MIDI message. Most Logic plugins support direct "Fader" Environment messages which can not be generated by the new MIDI FX plugins (inc Scripter). However you can use the External Instrument plugin with IAC and re-route the Modulator (LFO) MIDI FX Control Change messages back into the Logic Input and patch a Transformer in the Click & Ports Environment layer to transform that CC# into Fader# which corresponds to the Plugin parameter you want to control.

If you are talking of a specific rhythmic made by MIDI Note events, it is possible in the Scripter and in the Environment. The Environment is recommended cause you can generate Fader Messages. I think I have made such complex Environment Tool "Parameter Randomizer" (triggered by Note Events) in the pass. I have to search my Environment libraries.

7. I'd love hear & see what you are referring to. Logic is such a deep instrument. I must confess, I've never played around with the environment much at all. With logic x they've made a lot of these midi functions so quickly & easily available. I've been examining scripts & studying javascript hoping to implement certain ideas. I'm also realizing how much power has always been there in the environment. I need another lifetime to study all this.
    Thanks again. Look forward to seeing what you've done.