Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 EXS Logic 9 bug?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Bolder, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Bolder

Bolder New Member

Anybody aware of any problem with EXS instruments being created on Logic 9 when being loaded into previous versions of Logic (7 & 8), that the EXS is asking for samples it cannot find that simply do not exist?

It is almost as though the EXS is making up some fictitious names of .wav files. When loading these into Logic 9, there is never a problem though. In the past I have found backward compatibility of the EXS24 to be solid.

I produced a Buffalo Drum library for the EXS with Apple loops and a EXS hit instrument. It is the hits EXS instrument where this problem arises with my customers who are on Logic 7 or 8.

I tried using Redmatica ProManager to re-reference everything but that still does not solve the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!
    Dennis @ Bolder

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Hi,
    It is not a bug! For example the new Logic Studio (8 & 9) project files can not be opened in the former Logic versions which can open LSO ones only. In the same time the Logic Studio can open/read and convert old LSO.
    Same thing with the EXS instrument file extension. Some changes were made in the EXS file extention after the Logic Studio release. Though the instrument file extension seems to be the same "exs" the file is programed to support Logic Studio 8 & 9 versions. Something similar with the Kontakt "nki" ones. You can not open Kontakt 5.0.3 NKI in Kontakt 5.0.1 right ?

Developer conclusion:If you want to support Logic users up to v.7x (LSO) you have to build your EXS library using such Logic version - you lib can be readable in Logic 8/9 as well. Note, the Instrument and the Sample folder structure (folder names) is different in the former (LSO) versions and in the Logic Studio. Meaning that it is a good idea if you build an Installer where the user can choose from both types of installation i.e;
    1. Install the library for former Logic up to version 7x.
    Here the installer will create two folders labeled as "Sampler Instruments" & "Soundfont samples" and extract your lib there.
    2. Install the library for Logic 8 or Logic 9.
    Here the installer will create two folders as well labeled as "Sampler Instruments" & "EXS Factory Samples".
    Good luck!

A.G

4. Bolder

Bolder New Member

Thanks for the reply A.G.!

I was also communicating with Garth at Chicken Systems yesterday and he suggested it may an issue with the number of characters used in the naming of the sample files.

I'll get it sorted out eventually, or just offer Logic 9 format only.

Thanks!
    Dennis

5. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I'm too busy with my upcoming sample libraries and do not have any time for any Logic tests. To my remembrance the "issue with the number of characters" was valid for the former Logic versions. As I said, now we have a new EXS file which does not support former Logic versions - so send my regards to Chicken Systems regarding the wave file naming !
    Even that I could make a cross Installer as I mentioned in my previous post. The problem is that I'm temporally holding on the idea of any EXS sample format releasing, at least till the Logic X (if any)...
    Regards,
    A.G

6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

As it relates to this discussion of length of sample names, Redmatica's Autosampler v2.2 manual has this to say:

"AutoSampler supports the new modern EXS24 instrument format introduced by Apple with Logic 9.1 and sample names can now be up to 255 characters long. Previous Logic versions (before version 9) can read the new modern format, but filenames longer than 31 characters won’t be recognized reliably. Third party software supporting the EXS24 format might not recognize the new format, and for this reason a new preference (Preferences/General tab) lets
    you select whether AutoSampler will create EXS24 files in the classic (pre-9.0) or modern
    formats."

Preference options are:
    Classic (up to Logic 9.0.2)
    Modern (from Logic 9.1)

7. Bolder

Bolder New Member

This problem has been solved by Garth at Chicken Systems with a renaming option which he recently wrote into the Reference Manager section of Translator - which was very nice of him :). I'm not sure if it has been uploaded yet as the current build of Translator but mine now says version 6 build 9.

It gives you a character count of each samples name, and anything that exceeds 31 characters can be easily renamed using a Search and Replace command. I tried doing this in Keymap with it Advanced Rename function and it did not solve the problem - however it may have been something I did incorrectly.

This library now loads just fine into the EXS24 in Logic 7, 8 and 9.

Just thought I'd update this and best wishes!
    Dennis @ Bolder