1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 EXS24 - French Horn Crescendo

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by qrt, Jan 11, 2011.

1. qrt

qrt Member

Just a quick question.

On French Horn Crescendo I noticed there is only one group (there is another one, though that's a dummy group).

When I press the key softly I hear it's quieter, when hard its obviously louder, though there is only 14 zones and they're all in the same group. How does that work, as you're using the same sample whether the end result is quiet or loud?

Wouldn't they have another group say for louder velocities?

Cheers

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Well, yes in an ideal world.

The more expensive libraries, e.g. Vienna, have all instruments sampled at different levels of loudness, but for "cheap and cheerful" (ie what's bundled with Logic) we don't always expect many velocity layers.

Some instruments are better than others for single layer for all velocities, it ball depends on the nuances of what actually happens to the acoustic sound when a musician plays louder. Withy some instruments all that happens is it sounds the same but louder (in which case multi sampling can be a waste of space and RAM), in other cases it gets brighter as it gets louder - in which case this can often be simulated with filtering or other synthesis, and sometimes it just sounds different in a way that can only be successfully represented digitally by multisampling. Or maybe very sophisticated modelling synthesis which is beyond what ECS can do anyway.

4. chrisb

chrisb New Member

5. qrt

qrt Member

Cool, I see what your saying, thanks.

6. qrt

qrt Member

I'll check those out, cheers for the link.