Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External midi and plug ins

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Northside313, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Northside313

Northside313 New Member

This is likely a dumb question, but is it possible to use plug ins on an external midi track? I have been using soft synths for years and now would like some analog hardware synths. If I connect the synth through usb, will I be able to eq/compress/effect the synth with plug ins? I don't know if usb controls midi only, midi and audio, I'm completely in the dark.:confused: If I connect the synths through usb will I still need some kind of audio interface for sound to go through? Also how well integrated is the automation capabilities of Logic Pro X and hardware synthesizers? I am considering the Novation Bass Station 2 and Arturia Microbrute and thinking how awesome it would be to record those knob twists. I have Logic Pro X 10.1, haven't updated to 10.1.1 yet. Thanks.
  3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

You can process the Audio path of the Hardware MIDI Devices in a couple of ways:
    1. You can insert an External Instrument plugin into the Software Instrument Channel Strip. In this case you insert the Audio FX plugins into that Channel Strip.
    2. You can create an Audio Track in Logic and route the Hardware MIDI Device Audio Output to that Logic track. In this case you insert the Audio FX plugins into that Track/Channel.

In both scenarios you need an Audio Interface. Note a few USB MIDI Devices can carry the Audio & MIDI thru the USB.
  4. Northside313

Northside313 New Member

Ok thanks, I am using an Allen & Heath Zed 10 mixer connected by usb. This I presume will carry the audio as long as the synths are plugged into the mixer through their audio outputs. Then I guess the midi would be carried by usb from the synths to the computer to record any midi information. Thanks again!