1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X extra characters appended to names of audio files

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by edurbrow, Dec 20, 2015.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I transferred a song to my laptop by 'save as', went to a location and recorded percussion with it.
    Back home, I dragged the original Logic X project file out of its Project folder and put the project file from the laptop in there. I also dragged the newly recorded audio files into the original audio folder. Now, when I open the new Project file, I get a long list of audio files that can’t be located. They are called something like "audio 1#01_1.aif". I thought I had I saved the project to the laptop from inside Logic X via firewire/thunderbolt. I don't remember, but it is possible I wasn't sure the audio files had been transferred so I dragged them in again because I have 2 of everything on the laptop with the duplicates named with an underscore and 1 at the end. The audio file titles are otherwise the same as the originals. I cannot locate any of these on my desktop computer system. Right now, on my desktop using the new project file, only the newly recorded audio tracks from the location recording and midi tracks play, even though the original audio files are in the Audio folder. If I open the original file, it opens and plays normally (but without the new tracks, of course). How can I add the new files to the original? Is there a way to get all the new tracks created and the regions placed exactly where they were recorded? I would prefer to use the newer project file recorded on the laptop, as it was virtually the same as the original except for the addition of newly recorded tracks.

How should I have done this? What are the best practices to go to a location, record and then transfer the newly recorded tracks back to the original desktop computer? If I had time, I would have made stems. I have done that in the past. However, I feel obligated to bounce tracks starting from the beginning so that they can all be imported and placed with no problems. This is often a tremendous waste of HD space though.

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Ed, when you copied all the files to the laptop the second time, the OS appended _01 to the filenames to distinguish the duplicates from the originals. Logic doesn't know that you don't really need those files to work on your project, so it's asking where they are. You can copy all the duplicates back to your desktop computer to make it happy, or you can select "Skip All" when it asks where they are and go back to work.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  4. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

Thanks Sonny,
    I figured as much. So how do I get it to see the old ones and use them, because now it won't play any of the files. It expects all those _01 ones? And is there a way to stop Logic from asking me about those files if I get this sorted out?

That brings up a related question: how do you delete files permanently from the HD (scratch vocal, for example) and not have Logic ask where they are when opening a project?
    Thank you.

5. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

You could use a filename batch processor like http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/download.html to add _01 to all your original files. (If you're on Yosemite I think there's a way to do this using Finder, but I can't remember how) Next time you open the session, if Logic still tells you it can't find the files, click "Search" or "Locate" (Search is automatic, which could be slow, and Locate lets you find the first file yourself - Logic will look in that location to find the rest)

As to your second question, if you Delete the file from within the Media Browser's list of Audio files (under the Project tab) using Logic's own Delete command from the Edit menu there, then it will get rid of it and stop asking for it.

6. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I only had one file I wanted from the recording and it started from m. 1, so I just imported it into my old project and trashed the new one. It is still a mystery to me how I ended up with two of every audio file.

I'll be sure to use the Media Browser from now on. That will reclaim HD space, right?
    Thanks so much,

7. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Shouldn't be a mystery, you've described the process by which it happened right here!:

"I don't remember, but it is possible I wasn't sure the audio files had been transferred so I dragged them in again because I have 2 of everything on the laptop with the duplicates named with an underscore and 1 at the end."

8. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

Yeah, it is a possibility. I've slept walked through many musical endeavors. -:)
    Thanks