Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 FCP XML to LOGIC PRO

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by DeeJay SchmeeJay, May 20, 2010.

1. DeeJay SchmeeJay

DeeJay SchmeeJay New Member

Hi Folks,

Is anyone using FCP's XML format to edit audio in Logic Pro with any success?

I've tried a couple of tests and the volume automation is completely screwed up when imported. I guess it might be useful if choosing to start the mix from scratch though.

I'm having success transferring material between FCP and Sound Track Pro, so I may need to accept that this is the better methodology for now.

Would appreciate hearing your experiences and any suggestions.

3. cyril

cyril Member

i did some trials a few month ago
    it was a BIG MESS

noting was in sync after 1mn playing

4. David51

David51 Senior member

To be honest-I only went from Logic EXpress8 to Logic Pro 9 because I hoped there would be some way to use xml file transfer,so I am happy to hear you have success using FCP XML. If you use SoundTrackPro there are other[archaic] ways to transfer audio, such as OMF and AAF, as far as I know these will not transfer the graphics[the score] only the bounced audio, Wiki has a good history article about these file types.Good Luck and don't give up-there is a good chance that if you simply subscribe to this thread a very well informed user will have found a way to do what you need to accomplish.

5. Gio

Gio Member

Export OMF from FCP, thats the only thing that has "worked" for me in the past.
    Good Luck
    Ciao
    Gio

6. cyril

cyril Member

why did I get it out of sync ?

7. DeeJay SchmeeJay

DeeJay SchmeeJay New Member

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

Cyril, in regard to your audio being out of sync, all I can say is that Ive used OMF a few times in the past and it was like entering a lottery to see if all your clips would remain in sync. So it's no surprise to hear that XML is flakey as well. I suspect that a successful transfer may be affected by factors such as the complexity of the FCP sequence and the video codec used. I'm now using XDCAM EX codec with the JVC camera I own, and that seems to work okay thus far. But in the past when using DV codec I sometimes noticed that the footage wasn't captured from tape at a true 48kHz. It would be something like 47.97kHz. I suspect this may have played havoc with the OMF transfer.

8. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

There have been a number of people who have not been happy with the audio automation. One simple problem is FCP goes up to a +12 dB - doesn't translate well.....