Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finer automation resolution for AU and TDM plug-ins

Discussion in 'Logic Wishlist' started by tigerman, Jan 18, 2010.

1. tigerman

tigerman Senior member

I would like to have more resolution for automations of no-logic plug-ins, AU and TDM.
    some examples?
    -in reaktor 5 i have only 100 resolution for a knob, even if i've setted up for example 500 steps (and mouse resolution to 500) in my reaktor knob options. In Ableton Reaktor 5 knob resolution is based on knob options, like it should be.
    -in SCI-FI tdm i have a very limited resolution, for example it goes from 0hz to 22hz, if i use it in ProTools i get steps at every hertz in low frequencies, like it should be!!

Both Pro-tools and Ableton has finer resolution for plug-ins, basically resolution is dynamic and it's adapted depending on plug-in knobs

In logic (third party plug-ins) is fixed and is really low, in some cases is even lower than a midi cc (less than 127 steps).

Pro-tools in addiction draws a green rectangle around the automated plug-in knob to let you see better where you're working on, really useful!!(maybe also ableton? haven't noticed it, i don't use/have ableton)

Keeping CTRL pressed does NOT help.

Pro Tools has a "free hand" option for drawing automations, that is quite useful sometimes, basically we can do it aswell in logic with some tricks (using hyperdraw) but with a low resolution as converting automations to events lowers the resoluton to 127.

We are still in the same situation of Logic 5 for third party plug-ins automation :/

Well, no, curves are newer, but it doesn't have much sense to be able to do curves in third party plugs with a so low resolution, they works only when you use the entire knob range.