1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire for audio interface & usb external hard drive or vice versa?

Discussion in 'The LUG Lounge' started by Michael S, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Michael S

Michael S New Member

I have a macbook pro. I am hoping to record directly from my audio interface through the laptop, to a portable external hard drive. As their are no more express card slots on the 15" pros, I cannot add a 2nd firewire port or even an eSATA port. I only record 2 tracks at a time and of course, don't want any latency. So the choice is Firewire audio interface (such as the Edirol FA-66) recording to a USB 2.0 hard drive, or USB 2.0 audio interface recording to a Firewire hard drive.

Perhaps I should just record dircetly to the laptop and move the files to the external drive after each session, which would be a bit of a pain.

Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Two tracks at a time should be no problem whatsoever. I would try using the internal drive first of all. You really should also be able to run a FW drive and interface connected together.

kind regards

Mark

4. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Thanks Mark,

So you're saying that when recording only 2 tracks, a firewire hub connected to one port should be able to handle an audio interface and external hard drive at the same time.

5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

I didn't mention a FW hub, that shouldn't be necessary. Just try plugging the FW devices together in series. If it is a critical recording, you are of course first of all going to test everything out, and make sure it all works, right?

kind regards

Mark