1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Flex Time: Changing all FOLLOWING markers

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by zerobeat, Jul 4, 2015.

1. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

In ProTools, when you change the location of a flex marker, it changes the location all following flex markers. Is this possible in Logic? In other words, I want to tweak the location of, say, a snare hit, but then that shifts the time of the entire track beyond that point, and not just until the next flex marker.

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Let's assume you have one region for the whole track. What happens if you drag a transient in the top half of the waveform display, so you only get the single flex marker icon. IOW, don't click in the lower half where anchor markers are automatically created at the previous and next transient.

4. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

Hi Eli! The default in Logic X seems to be that when you move a Flex Marker, it'll only adjust the audio in between the previous Flex Marker and the next one. What I want to do is adjust the audio between the current and the previous one only. So this means that the audio after this point will then just move earlier or later. So if I move a Flex marker later in time for example, then the audio before this marker will time expand, but the audio after this point will simply move without any time compression at all.

I'm trying to align a band to the grid, and the band never played with click. In ProTools this is a no brainer. I just don't have access to PT right now.

5. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

I almost forgot... this has to work on bunch of grouped tracks (not just one at a time).

6. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

Just in case I'm not clear, I'll restate my request: In LogicX, when you move a Flex Marker later in time, it'll time expand the audio before (until the previous Flex Marker) and time compress the audio after it (until the next Flex Marker). Is there a way to have it only expand the audio before the current Flex Marker, but then just move all audio (and Flex Markers) later in time?
    It's for aligning real drum tracks (with no playing to metronome) to a strict grid. So I would just go along (after choosing an average tempo) and tweak the locations of Flex Markers but then all audio AFTER this point would then shift of course.

7. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

Here's another way to look at the feature I want: Let's say you time expand a short portion in the middle of an audio region. This means that all following audio will happen a little later in time - the region will be a little longer. And likewise, if you time compress a short portion in the middle of an audio region, the following audio will happen sooner, and the region will be a little a little shorter. I'd like to do this with Flex Markers, across a bunch of grouped tracks.

8. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

We had to just fly out all the tracks as WAVs and do it in ProTools. If Logic doesn't have this feature, it's a mind blowing omission. Or is there another method to change the timing of a bunch of grouped tracks not played to metronome, bar by bar typically, to line up to the grid?

9. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

If you click in the middle it creates 3 "pins." This allows you to affect the section you want while leaving the rest intact. If you have turned out "phase-locked editing" in the group it should work for all members of the group.

10. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

The "3 pin" method doesn't do what I need either. I just reread the entire Flex section in the manual and there is no reference to the feature I need. Well, there would be a long-winded way of doing what I need: If I were to not use Flex, but simply split the entire stack of grouped regions into 3 sections each, with the tiny ones in the middle (say, the length of a bar), and then time expand/contract the middle regions by the exact same amount, and then move the 3rd regions a little later/earlier in time, this would do it. But obviously this is way too much work, let alone the fact that I'd probably be doing this to dozens of bars.

11. Eli

Eli Senior member

Is your goal to have it conform to a grid? Or to conform to a single tempo? If your goal is to align the band to a grid, have you ruled out using Beat Mapping? That'll do what you want it seems. But it will preserve the timing of the original performance instead of forcing it to conform to one tempo. If the grid is the priority, Beat Mapping will do what you want.

12. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

I want the audio to both conform to Logic's grid AND at a single tempo. So yes, I'm trying to map the beats of the audio to Logic's grid manually. The old way was to pick the highest tempo, and as long as the tempo variance in the audio wasn't too huge, I just chopped everything up - sometimes down to eighth notes but sometimes a few bars - and aligned everything up without time expansion/compression. It's easy to make slow stuff faster (just use less audio), but obviously vastly tougher to "invent" audio that never used to be there for making fast stuff slower. I just thought that with Flex Time it would make things easier by being able to time compress/expand those little chopped up pieces.