1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Forgot how to monitor MIDI

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by David51, Jun 2, 2013.

1. David51

David51 Senior member

Hello all, Sorry for a lame post but I can't seem to find the right settings to monitor the track I am controlling with a breath controller.

I used to just mute and record enable that track,after selecting it and I could use the breath controller to play the score part for that track during playback and hear the other tracks as well,now this doesn't seem to work anymore since moving up from 10.6 to 10.8.

I have found other things have changed as well,such as the correct CC# for controlling JamPack 4 instruments-it was CC#1, but is now CC#4, CC#1 now controls the articulations of the new set of Orchestral instruments added in??9.1.8 no matter, how can I use Core audio to monitor the incoming MIDI events.

I was using an Edirol UA-25 but it doesn't seem to work in Mountain Lion,I am using a driverless class compliant MIDI input device that is online in the audio/MIDI set up. If I don't mute the track the sequencer tries to take over. I have been trying to do this by using an Audio track with input monitoring but I still have to unmute the track I am controlling to monitor the whole mix-the answer is probably in front of me but my eyes are not well.

I am probably not supposed to use Logic when I am on benzodiazepam pain meds but can't stop myself from trying.

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

David51,
    The latest driver for your Edirol UA-25 is here. Scroll down the page:
    http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=UA-25

Assuming your Breath Controller is set up in the OSX Audio MIDI SetUp Utility, in L9, with an instrument (e.g. EXS24) inserted into a Software Instrument Track, you turn on monitoring by record-enabling to the Software Instrument Track ("R" turns red in the Track header) without clicking on the Record button in the Transport.

You should now be able to hear your playing.

Attached Files:

4. David51

David51 Senior member

Thanks CSeye, I will try that driver one more time. I have received it 3 times from Roland and it never worked, but I googled the question and on Macrumors a poster said there was a new one v.1.3 that did work,but I never found a place were v.1.3 was available.

Because I bought a new mac with Apple Care I was allowed to get some help from an apple/logic pro enterprise in Ireland, he said it was possible to use Core Audio to monitor the playback by routing it to an audio channel strip, I have been trying various combinations but none seem to do what he though was possible.

If the driver still won't work I will still want to try his idea-when setting it up the Audio channel strip always had greyed out ínput 1-2 as the only input option and I still haven't found a way to route the input 1-2 to an audio channel strip. In the manual there is mention of an input channel strip but getting one set up has wasted a lot of time, I assumed I would need to do it in the Environment but when I added it to the environment mixer it appeared as a very tiny object, and the Manual didn't go further into how to get it working.

As a back up option for what to do if the driver fails again would you be so kind as to tell me how or where in the manual this option of using an input channel strip is explained? I didn't forget everything-the track must be selected and record armed as you rightly pointed out, it is the use of an input channel strip in the Environment mixer that isn't in the manual-other than that it is there, or does that work around only work with bounced audio files-I am not yet ready to record but having it set up that way might take care of recording the MIDI tracks'output.

5. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Have you selected the driver in the audio setup page? If you haven't that would explain why it's greyed out.

Also, not sure how you can monitor midi on an audio track, they are not the same "type" of a device: one is for audio, and will record audio from a mic, the other triggers a virtual instrument.

Like CSeye pointed out, your transport has a midi monitor built into it, so if you play a note it will tell you the note value in pitch and octave, or what the chord is as well.

If you want to generate a midi track from an audio track, that is another beast all together... Logic can do it.. kind of.

Any thing making sense?

6. David51

David51 Senior member