Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

from snow leopard to Lion...Advice???

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by Rodney D, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Rodney D

Rodney D Member

Hello to all,

Ok, Im finally ready to move from snow leopard. Its been fun but I want to move on to next OS X to take advantage of some new software. So I need to be at least running Lion. I have a late 2009 27" Imac I7 quad with 16gb of ram. Im running Logic 9.1.8 with the original apogee duet and a host of third party plugins by Waves, Ik Multimedia, Plugin Alliance, State Digital, SSL, and a few others on an ILOK2. Iv'e done some research and I know that apogee has drivers for the duet. What should I expect after I download Lion? Should everything work as they did before the upgrade or will things start acting strange? I really don't have to do a clean install if Im just moving to the very next OS X (lion)..Right? Will all my plugins be fine? I know that most have already move from snow leopard a long time ago, so I want to know how their experience was moving from snow leopard to lion. I might be one of few on this forum still running snow leopard. Please give me some much needed wisdom before I move to Lion.

3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I'd skip Lion and go to Mountain Lion. (If not Yosemite). I have the same iMac as you. Lion was OK, but ML 10.8.5 was a sweet spot. When you install a new OS version there are going to be a few old plugins and apps that might not work. These will be mostly old PPC apps that need Rosetta. You might want to google to see what those are and decide if the new things you can run are worth losing the old apps that need Rosetta. In my case, there was very little that worked in 10.6 that didn't work in 10.8 that mattered.

An alternative -- partition your main drive, and install 10.7/8 on a new partition, or clone the 10.6 partition and update the original 10.6 partition to 10.7/8. There may be work involved either way because the new 10.7/8 partition may require some re-authorizations of some plugins. If you find some critical apps that need Rosetta, you'll still have a 10.6 partition you can use.
  4. jaxta1

jaxta1 New Member

I agree with bayswater above re: partitioning your hard drive and trying the upgrade before fully committing. Then you can live with the upgraded version for a while and take your time evaluating all your plug ins. I've done exactly that just recently before upgrading fully from Mountain Lion to Yosemite. By the way, Logic 9 worked fine for me on both operating systems.
  5. Luteman

Luteman New Member

My logic 9.1.8 on Mountain Lion with the 32 bit checkbox flag set works fine.